Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question What is this wiggly white worm in tank?!

So I've done a ton of research on different types of parasites and still can't tell for sure what this is, there's just so many possibilities!

I saw this worm wiggly swimming in the top portion of my tank, it's only 1cm long or less, white, and looks like a type of round worm. I haven't seen my 5 cherry barbs pooping out worms or anything hanging from their scales or bums but I'm pretty sure one of them ate one of the worms. Only seen 4 worms in a week free swimming in top of tank. I removed them from the tank.

Youtube video of it moving here

I'm worried that they could be parasitic nematodes. Detritus worms look like they get a lot bigger than the ones I've seen. Can't be planaria because they aren't flat and stick to the glass. I'm hoping they're just harmless worms. I have pool filter sand as substrate so I don't vac it too intensely. My nerite snail is the one who makes all the waste in the tank.

I dosed the tank with PraziPro and waited a few days and then removed it with water changes and carbon but I saw 2 again today. I removed the worms then dosed them separately with a little PraziPro and it took some agonizing wriggles but they look dead now. Not sure if they require a more concentrated dose but I don't want to hurt my barbs, snail, and plants.

Tags
tan, tank, white, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com