What is this wiggly white worm in tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melners

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've done a ton of research on different types of parasites and still can't tell for sure what this is, there's just so many possibilities!

I saw this worm wiggly swimming in the top portion of my tank, it's only 1cm long or less, white, and looks like a type of round worm. I haven't seen my 5 cherry barbs pooping out worms or anything hanging from their scales or bums but I'm pretty sure one of them ate one of the worms. Only seen 4 worms in a week free swimming in top of tank. I removed them from the tank.

8621dXH.jpg

qDhxbFA.jpg

Youtube video of it moving here

I'm worried that they could be parasitic nematodes. Detritus worms look like they get a lot bigger than the ones I've seen. Can't be planaria because they aren't flat and stick to the glass. I'm hoping they're just harmless worms. I have pool filter sand as substrate so I don't vac it too intensely. My nerite snail is the one who makes all the waste in the tank.

I dosed the tank with PraziPro and waited a few days and then removed it with water changes and carbon but I saw 2 again today. I removed the worms then dosed them separately with a little PraziPro and it took some agonizing wriggles but they look dead now. Not sure if they require a more concentrated dose but I don't want to hurt my barbs, snail, and plants.

Back
Top Bottom