Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tennhound
what is too many fish

I have had my tanks since june. well planted and has 9 zebra. 9 long fin leopard, 9 long fin blue danios, 4 corys, 1 pictus cat, 1 pleco. If i do my 20% water changes every 2 to 3 weeks. can i add more fish. I want to add 9 pearl danios. Will this hurt my tank

Old 11-07-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

that would depend on the size of your tank. How big are we talking about?

Old 11-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
You might want to let us know how big the tank is. What you list is wwwwaaayy too much if its like a 10 gallon, but might be fine in say a 40 gallon.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The pleco you have will probably reach up to 2 feet in legnth, even though it is tiny right now. So size of tank is super important. Anything less than a 55 gallon tank will be overstocked with that monster.

When stocking a tank always try to find the adult size of the fish. That way you won't overstock too early.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Profile shows that it is a 29 gallon tank, which leads me to agree that a small species pleco is in order (trade your pleco for a bristlenose or school of otos) and that there's not really a large enough environment for an additional 9 danios, as tempting as it may be.

I'd love to see a pic of that aquarium though!
Old 11-07-2003, 04:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally like overstocked tanks as long as they're healthy. And that can be done! But in order to do that you need to keep up on water changes. I would do your water changes at least ever week, not every 2-3 weeks.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
Overstocked can be very very different things. 1 pleco in a 10 gallon is overstocked. 20 danios in a 10 gallon is overstocked.

The fish he listed are incredibly overstocked with any tank less than 40 gallons.

All my tanks are overstocked according to the inch rule, so maybe I'm not the best one to speak ;P
Old 11-07-2003, 07:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, if thats a 29g you are already overstocked and there isn't really room to add more fish safely. Scotts point about the plec is a strong one; common plecs get to be about 2 feet long, do NOT grow to the size of the tank and produce HUGE amounts of waste. Even now, weekly water changes and gravel vacs would be recommended. Whats your water parameters?

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tennhound
The tank is a 29 gallon. Don't know how big the pleco gets. Plan on getting a bigger tank after the first of the year. If it gets to big I will move it to the bigger tank. All my fish seem to be doing fine. Only problem I had was when I put the catfish in. It ate my 2 neons.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL yeah, catfish will do that.

Again, if its a common pleco, it will get HUGE. I have one; didn't know when I bought an "algae eater" what is was or what to expect (this was before I got a clue). He was about 1.5 inches long and I named him "the lil guy". 4 months later he was 3.5 inches long and I realised I was going to have a problem. Finally started doing research and discovered how big they get as adults. I've had him a year now, and he's 8 inches long and still growing. He now lives in a 55g; once he reaches a foot long I'll have to find him a new home as I cannot fit a larger tank here.

And I'm curious about your water parameters, especially nitrates. Since you have a high bioload, and water change infrequently, I'm guessing you have pretty high nitrates. That also can be an issue when adding new fish. Your guys have become acclimated to high levels of waste in the tank. It may kill the new guys tho who aren't used to it. Do you test regularly?

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com