What is your favorite "centerpiece" fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johny

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just curious what everyone's favorite centerpiece fish for their FW tanks is? and why?

What made you choose that fish? What did you enjoy most about having that fish? If you were starting a new tank, would you choose that same centerpiece fish? Or would you go with something else? (and why?)

(this is just meant to be a fun discussion/reminiscent thread)

Some of my favorites are Apistogramma species. They're colorful, have a lot of personality, and many species will breed readily in home aquaria. :)

either bettas or sharks(specifically rainbows). i like the bettas because there so colourful and nice,and can work in tanks as small as 10 gallons(if kept alone there fine in a 5),and very personable. i like the sharks because they can fit into such a large range of aquaria as long as its above 55 gallons, they can be kept with peaceful community,and are fine as long as noone looks like them,yet can take care of themselves in an aggresive cichlid tank.

Awesome responses everyone. I am not familiar with apistogammas, but I think I will look them up. I wouldn't mind trying angels some day, when I have the tank space for them. I do love our betta. I would really have liked it if he would have worked out in our community tank, but oh well.

My fav is the apistogramma hongsloi especially like the bright colored male I have in my tank

Bettas!(duh, look at my username ;-D) They just have so unique personalities! And every fish is different. Their aggressiveness is their biggest downside, females being the only ones you can keep together. Imagine a 10 gal. with several males(if they weren't so aggressive)!

So far apistogrammas are taking the cake on this one. I spent some (limited) time looking them up. They are beautiful. My wife rolled her eyes at me when I showed them to her and then asked if they would be my new obsession. They just might...

LOL. They're great fish but they're kinda like those potato chips... once you get one species, you just want more and more. Be prepared to get new tanks if you start on that obsession! :D

I guess then its a good thing I can't afford anything more right now? I am becoming more and more aware of how many beautiful fish there are. I can very easily see how many people have MTS. I think instead I will just try and rotate through new fish every few years as fish die off (naturally of course). I will have to upgrade to a bigger tank at least once though. Our little tank just isn't big enough for half the fish I want to try.

Well I just ordered a beautiful apisto from SM so I suppose that will end up being my fav shortly! But I gotta go with bettas on this one. Wow same answers over and over so far huh? I call my bettas water puppies. I have about a dozen currently and they all swim up to greet me whenever I'm in sight. At feeding time the bettas in community tanks hear me open the lid and quicky sneak up to the corner so I can give them their pellets before the others get their flake. They know they are special ;) When doing water changes, they, well especially the males anyway, will actually rub all over my arm as I vacuum. The sweetest most beautiful fish ever :)

I have been feeding our betta, Doyle, from the tip of my finger the last couple days. I get the tip of my finger wet with tank water, get a pellet to stick to the end and then hold it over the water. So far he'll take it from about half a cm above the water. I enjoy feeding him like that.

siva said:
I have about a dozen currently...

So if you have a dozen bettas, and some community tanks, how many do you have? (Tanks that is)

I don't have a centerpiece fish :( lol I have African Cichlids in one tank and goldfish in the other!! Lol grrrrr

Flossie - We don't really have a centerpiece fish either. We do have Doyle, our betta, but he is in his own little tank. Its easy to be the centerpiece when you are all by your self. lol.

Cichlids can be very pretty fish, so in some ways you have a tank full of centerpiece fish!

Johny said:
Flossie - We don't really have a centerpiece fish either. We do have Doyle, our betta, but he is in his own little tank. Its easy to be the centerpiece when you are all by your self. lol.

Cichlids can be very pretty fish, so in some ways you have a tank full of centerpiece fish!

Hey there you go! My cichlids are beautiful

I love my Leporinus. He is yellow with black bands and owns my aquarium. If he wants a snack he'll eat whatever fish ( or crab) he's craving. He also steals the cories and plecos wafers and brings them to his cave. He and the pleco fight all the time over this. He says hello when I come into the room and is a beautiful sight to see.

I would own another. Even though they are very aggressive. That is kinda what makes them fun. A beautiful predator.

@ Tracey... You know I just saw leporinus the other day at petsmart for the fist time. They definitely caught my attention. I don't think I could add them (or 1 for that matter) to my current build, but maybe down the road. Good choice.

I'm a big cichlid guy and the best looking fish in my tank is my Lwanda. It's hard to pick just one but he stands out from the rest.

Back
Top Bottom