What is your favorite type of FW fish and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandyCheeks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I'm looking at getting a big tank (maybe 100g +) but holding off until I decide on what type of fish to get. Starting everything in this tank from scratch.

What is your favorite type and what is it about their personality that you like?

For example, I like oranda goldfish because they are good natured, very friendly and I get a kick out of how they wiggle when they swim.

I hear a lot about cichlids, but not sure what it is about them that people like.

My favorite FW fish is the Tiger Barb. 3 color variations give a lot of color to the tank. Active schooling fish. loads of personality.
I just wish I could keep them alive...

Aside from the wiggle part, German Blue Rams behave in similar ways in terms of good nature and being friendly -- well except if they decide to spawn. Not only are they beautiful in color, they start swimming to the glass to greet you once they get comfortable in their new home.

Angels are like that too. They'd probably be real nice in that 100g if you decide to go planted as well. More specifically, Koi veil tail angels :)

My favorite fish are Rainbow fish. I love the bright colors and they are very curious and active. I tried taking pics if my new Loach and my Boesmani kept photo bombing. It was hilarious. Wherever I moved my lens he was RIGHT there. Color wise I love the Turquoise and Red Irian Rainbows.

I love my angels and loaches. My big clown loach and biggest angel are tied for first place in my book, I don't know how much I'd really enjoy my tank without them. The angel is always out and swims to the glass to greet me, and the loach is always out in the morning and the evening which is the only time I really get to spend with my fish. Rocket(my clown loach) reminds me of a dog wagging its tail every time it meets me for breakfast haha, always wagging his tail and waving his fins begging for more food(they'll eat anything and everything, then beg for more)

Attachments

• image-2060288764.jpg
    image-2060288764.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 75
I also love German Blue Rams. They have distinct personalities :) My male is up close and personal, likes to make sure everyone is behaving and not eating too much of 'his' food, and my female is more reserved and cautious.

I also really love my gold barbs. They are pretty, hardy, and have such hysterical personalities! They are easy to sex if you want to breed them, and from what I've read, easy to breed! I'm going to try and breed them someday.
I would really recommend either (or both) of these fish!

I have african cichlids, you can check them out on my profile. I like them so much because they come in tons of colors depending on what species you go with. They also are always bringing activity into the tank. They do chase each other around sometimes, but I find that their activity is very fun to watch.

I also have a gold saum. Which his juvenile pictures are on my profile also. Once they grow older they are IMO the most beautiful freshwater fish. So far my little one seems to have a pretty friendly attitude, towards me anyway. He's pretty active and always swimming around the tank. I like a lot of action in my tank but that's my opinion.

I love black ghost knife fish but they get pretty big.....I agree ^^^^, I love African cichlids, especially yellow labs.....I'm not sure how to spell this type of cichlid but they are not from Africa, festae cichlid or red Terrors, their colors are amazing but very very aggressive fish and get quite big!

Check out Monster Fish Keepers. There is a lot of information on Monster fish like P Bass, Arowanas, Stingrays, Tiger Fish, Cichlids, Large Catfish Gars, etc. I used to like medium sized fish but after becoming a member I am now addicted to monster fish ;) btw go bigger than a 100. At first I thought my 125 was big but soon after I upgraded to a 220. Go at least a 180.

Someone posted a pic of a tiger shovel nose catfish that I have since become obsessed with.

Really love my roseline sharks and Celebes rainbows..... and neon tetras.

Someone posted a pic of a tiger shovel nose catfish that I have since become obsessed with.

Really love my roseline sharks and Celebes rainbows..... and neon tetras.

Yeah they are awesome! It's so awesome to watch mine hunt. I bet you would like MFK too. Great info here for small fish but not the best on monsters.

I will check them out. Depending on the outcome of what is going on with my tank I may get one.

Cool my 220 should make a decent grow out but after a year or so I'll probably need to build my pond.

Yeh. I bought a piece of land not thinking about a pond.... but it sits right on a river. I'm worried about flooding and washing out the pond. Houses on the island are required to be built at least eight feet off of the ground.

I think so far I have to say rams (I've only had Bolivian rams) are my favorite. Next to them would be black ruby barbs. They are active as all get out and add so much to my tank. I love my Bolivian rams. Mine is one that greets me and follows me anytime I walk by the tank. I just added a new one a few weeks ago, hoping they breed!

My favorite are neon tetra. Obviously way too small for your planned 100g+, but I love the way they look, especially a big school of them, in a planted tank that's really green.

I love angelfish for their personalities. They will greet you at the glass, beg for food, and they will come to recognize you. I once had a pair that ignored everyone that walked past unless it was me. I came near and they went crazy.

Back
Top Bottom