What is your maintenance schedule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not only stressful to the fish. I believe it would be stressful to the BB also. The new water unless pretreated will have an effect on your BB. I usually do 30-50% every Sunday. Rinse filter in tank water every 2 months that's where most of the BB is living. Never vacuum much gravel area unless there happens to be lots of debris or algae. The gravel also house a good supply of BB.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm a personal believer there's hardly any living in the substrate. In the case of freshwater of course. IMO 99% lives in the filter. I've completely changed substrates in a 45g and no mini cycles or parameter disfunction. There's a tad on the substrate and decor but not enough to make any significant difference.

Caleb

I tried to do 50% a week for a long time but got burned out as I do buckets up a flight of stairs from my outside faucet and just resorted to 10 gallons weekly on my 55. It keeps the fish healthy and haven't had a death in forever. I never test but if I did I bet the values would be fine with all the plants and the low stocking. The water is always clear too. I admire you guys doing 50% weekly on multiple tanks! :D

It's not really admirable, a python makes large changes pretty trivial! Have you ever considered one?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

It's not really admirable, a python makes large changes pretty trivial! Have you ever considered one?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

One of the first items I purchased with the tank and equipment. It makes water changing the easy part of the job. While the tank empties and fills you can prune the plants and clean as required. Whole task takes about 30 mins max. Unless I rinse the filter media, adds about 15 mins.

They run about $50. It's a must have with a tank ove 10-20 gals.

One of the first items I purchased with the tank and equipment. It makes water changing the easy part of the job. While the tank empties and fills you can prune the plants and clean as required. Whole task takes about 30 mins max. Unless I rinse the filter media, adds about 15 mins.

They run about $50. It's a must have with a tank ove 10-20 gals.

I use my Python to drain my tanks but I don't have a threaded outlet to fill them back up so I still use buckets for a 75 gallon and 40 gallon once a week. :D

Caleb

I use my Python to drain my tanks but I don't have a threaded outlet to fill them back up so I still use buckets for a 75 gallon and 40 gallon once a week. :D

Caleb

Caleb
You should be able to unscrew the the screen from the tap outlet and tread your adapter into the faucet. I know some of the newer kitchen faucets you can't, but you should be able to use the vanity in the bathroom.

If not you could always change out the faucet so you could make the connection. It really makes life so much easier and better for adding the water . As I find buckets create a lot of turbulence.

Funny thing my wife wanted this kitchen faucet she saw at Home Depot $129 the other day. We couldn't get it due to the fact that my Python had no place to connect.

Caleb

You should be able to unscrew the the screen from the tap outlet and tread your adapter into the faucet. I know some of the newer kitchen faucets you can't, but you should be able to use the vanity in the bathroom.

If not you could always change out the faucet so you could make the connection. It really makes life so much easier and better for adding the water . As I find buckets create a lot of turbulence.

Funny thing my wife wanted this kitchen faucet she saw at Home Depot $129 the other day. We couldn't get it due to the fact that my Python had no place to connect.

lol I actually use my hand to disperse the turbulence and the fish don't mind it. Fish like my JD and loaches love the extra current lol

Caleb

Caleb

Caleb, why not buy a 32g brute trash can and fill it up? Then just buy a power head (marineland 1200), with X amount of tubing (home depot ~$10 for 15ft) required to just pump it to the tank? Thats what I do, I use the Python to drain my tanks, and then pump my mixed water out of the trash can to the tank. It really beats having to lug 40 gallons every week.

Caleb, why not buy a 32g brute trash can and fill it up? Then just buy a power head (marineland 1200), with X amount of tubing (home depot ~$10 for 15ft) required to just pump it to the tank? Thats what I do, I use the Python to drain my tanks, and then pump my mixed water out of the trash can to the tank. It really beats having to lug 40 gallons every week.

The woman known as "mother" is already mad I keep bringing new things home :D

Caleb

I guess I should post my schedule:

Mon, Wed, Fri - Macro (Fri 60 Gallon 50% WC)
Tues, Thurs, Sat - Micro
Sun - 36G and 40G 50% WC, and New Batch of R/O is created

Filters Cleaned every few weeks, along with Light Housing

Once a week about 30%. I'm relatively new (<6 months). Until now I did not clean the filter. It works fine so far. I've filter floss wrapped around the intake and change them weekly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom