what is your opinion of bubble-eyes goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robotcholi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Who in there right mind would think those fishes are pretty?!?! I think it's so cruel to breed them carry the 2 big air sacs like that for the rest of their life. Poor fishes. What do you guys think?

haha the air sacs are just used for mating purposes.. I just think they are goofy looking, and much morse is when they pop... its hard to keep a tank safe from them. whats even worse is that one friend had one where it started to bleed into the sac, it bled so much it filled up! never the less... it died.

I don't think they're pretty at all. If I had them, I'd be constantly worrying about whether anything in the tank was too sharp. I worry enough about my fish! The last thing I need is to have to worry about popping eye-sacs too! :?

Goldfish have been kept as pets longer than any other fish...so I'm guessing there are quite a few who appreciate the ornamentals, myself included.

IMO, it's no different than speciation in dogs, or any other domesticated animal.

I agree with Sweetsuvvyb about ornamentals in general. I *love* ornamental goldfish... orandas, moors, even celestials... but the bubble-eyes are just a little too freaky for my taste.

Kind of the same way that I love my fluffy, inbred, no-way-he-could-survive-in-nature cat... but those egyptian hairless cats? Too weird for me!

Tigerlily said:
I agree with Sweetsuvvyb about ornamentals in general. I *love* ornamental goldfish... orandas, moors, even celestials... but the bubble-eyes are just a little too freaky for my taste.

Oh my gosh, I can't agree more!!! You took the words right out of my head. That's so true with me.

I don't mind the looks a many ornamentals but i feel bad that they have been bred to be disformed, it's unnatural (not that keeping any fish is) and it makes life harder for them.

I think they're quite odd, but it takes all kinds to make the world go around. :) And bubble eyed fish need love too! LOL That sounds bad.

robotcholi said:
Who in there right mind would think those fishes are pretty?!?! I think it's so cruel to breed them carry the 2 big air sacs like that for the rest of their life. Poor fishes. What do you guys think?

hideous, ugly as sin.

I think they look sad. I have no issues about ornamental fish, but it's kind of a bummer to be bred to the point of being totally unnatural and possibly in pain or discomfort a lot.

Back
Top Bottom