what is your opinion on senegal bichir?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubba rust

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what you guys thought about the senegal bichir? I think they are really cool looking but other than that I don't really know much about them.

I was also wondering if they would eat my red tailed shark or my pictus catfish if i got one?

D
I was wondering what you guys thought about the senegal bichir? I think they are really cool looking but other than that I don't really know much about them.

I was also wondering if they would eat my red tailed shark or my pictus catfish if i got one?

did somebody say bichir? Ah yes the senegalus bichir, a perfect bichir for those new to the wonderful world of polypterus's! They're in the group of smallest bichirs and rarely get over 8" in aquaria. They should be kept in nothing less than a 50 gallon as while they're smaller they still need their room. As with any bichir footprint is more important than height however this is generally for the bigger bichirs and a senegalus will do just fine in a standard 55 gallon. Now for tank mates yours should be ok but keep an eye on the red tail shark and the bichir as you may see some squabbles over territory however as long as the tank is large enough and has proper territories set up and planted nicely you should be fine. As for other tank mates (provided the tanks large enough to support more) most anything as long as it's not too small or too aggressive. Now for diet they should be fed pellets along with frozen meaty foods. Hikari puts out some excellent foods for carnivorous fish like Sinking Carnivore Pellets and/or Food Sticks (yes that's it's actual name). Omega One and New Life Spectrum puts out pellets that should be fed to him as well as they're all excellent foods!
What size tank do you have?

Thanks! that is great information! thanks so much! and I have 55 gallon but I am in the early scheming processes of creating a 100 gallon simi agressive tank :) What kind do you have?

Thanks! that is great information! thanks so much! and I have 55 gallon but I am in the early scheming processes of creating a 100 gallon simi agressive tank :) What kind do you have?

Tanks? A 30 (temporary as quarantine while stocking 60) and a 60 gallon. I had a 75 gallon but had to get rid of it. Bichirs? Unfortunately I have non now, a while ago my beloved delhezi died, absolutely no reason why just woke up one morning and there he was dead. Tested water and everything was perfect, no sign of any disease or even discomfort the night before! But that morning he was just dead.

That's awful :( I can totally relate I have had that with my snakes before

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think you'll have a problem with the shark or catfish. Bichirs get labelled aggressive but I almost think they are just predatory and maybe grumpy at worst. I have a juvie bichir with a rainbow shark, spotted Raphael catfish and some tiger barbs and everyone is fine. The bichir doesn't bother anyone at all. May vary slightly due to individual personality. The only thing I'm certain of is bichirs eat fish that can fit in their mouths.

Yes I have an albino bichir with 2 pitcus catfish a firemouth and a leopard ctenopoma. Everything gets along fine but mines growing at a fast rate. I love him though favorite fish in the tank

Back
Top Bottom