What is your personal experience with Tiger Barbs in a large shoal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrnbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to know what your PERSONAL experience with these fish has been. According to all my research, large shoals should reduce aggression and nipping. But, all lfs tell it's not a good idea to put them with a lot of fish. What was your experience keeping them with ram cichlids, tetras, etc. Anyone keep them with African butterfly fish? How many were in your shoal? What fish were they kept with? Were they nippy at all? Did they completely leave the other fish alone? Bad experiences? Good experiences?

Would really like to get my tank setup soon, but there are so many fish to choose from.

I got 12 in a 75g community tank. In the tank I got some loaches, a pair of rams, pair of pearl gouramis and some other community fish. My tiger barbs are show no aggression towards other fish. Only time I only saw anything nippy is the first hour when I got my rams Wouldn't leave them alone and I got worried. After about an hour they left them alone and haven't seen any more agression. I am super happy with my tigers. They are happy too see and love nipping at my hands. It tickles. Highly recommend them.

I have 3 tiger barbs together with white skirt tetras cave tetras also gold and cherry barbs and corydoras and they all get along havent see them picking in other fish

Dani c.

I want to know what your PERSONAL experience with these fish has been. According to all my research, large shoals should reduce aggression and nipping. But, all lfs tell it's not a good idea to put them with a lot of fish. What was your experience keeping them with ram cichlids, tetras, etc. Anyone keep them with African butterfly fish? How many were in your shoal? What fish were they kept with? Were they nippy at all? Did they completely leave the other fish alone? Bad experiences? Good experiences?

Would really like to get my tank setup soon, but there are so many fish to choose from.

I have about 10 or so in my 50 gallon semi aggressive tank. They keep most aggression to themselves although they occasionally get nippy and nip at longer finned fish, which caused me to rehome some longer finned fish. I personally haven't kept them with cichlids or tetras but I wouldn't keep them with slow moving or long finned tetras and cichlids or aggressive cichlids. I have mine with gouramis, rainbows, redtail shark, AKF, and a pleco. They usually mind their own business. I wouldn't keep them with an african butterfly because they might nip at him. And they're delicate fish. Kept with the right fish, they make a great addition to a tank. My experience is mostly good except for the fin nip on longer finned fish.

I wouldn't keep them with an african butterfly because they might nip at him. And they're delicate fish. Kept with the right fish, they make a great addition to a tank. My experience is mostly good except for the fin nip on longer finned fish.

That's a bummer :( lol kinda had my heart set on both the African butterfly and the tiger barbs because they are so active. Any chance I could make it work or should I not even try it? If not, anyone have suggestions for really active and or dither fish?

That's a bummer :( lol kinda had my heart set on both the African butterfly and the tiger barbs because they are so active. Anyone have suggestions for really active and or dither fish?

If you really liked the look of tiger barbs, you could have something like hexagon or snakeskin barbs instead. Then you could prolly do both barbs and african butterfly. Really active dithers are giant danios.

I have 15 in a 55 with 2 kissing gouramis and a BN pleco. From what I've seen in the short time I've had them, the barbs are only aggresive when it comes to food with the gouramis. They leave the smaller gourami alone, but the larger one seems to get chased more. Occasionally he'll lash out and scatter the 1 or 2 that are picking on him, but he mostly is passive and just waits to get the algae wafer.

If you really liked the look of tiger barbs, you could have something like hexagon or snakeskin barbs instead. Then you could prolly do both barbs and african butterfly. Really active dithers are giant danios.

Would they be as active and entertaining as the tigers? It was more the personality of the tigers that drew me in. I read that they constantly jockey each other and hustle around the tank. I imagine some of that feistiness would be lost with the snakeskin or hexagons.

Would they be as active and entertaining as the tigers? It was more the personality of the tigers that drew me in. I read that they constantly jockey each other and hustle around the tank. I imagine some of that feistiness would be lost with the snakeskin or hexagons.

I'm not sure, I've never had experience with those barbs. I'd imagine they'd be active but not as active and entertaining as the tigers. If you really wanted tigers and an african butterfly you might be able to if you have a big school of tigers. The bigger the school the less aggressive they are towards other fish. It'd still be risky tho.

I recently just got a tank set up for my tiger barbs, i have a total of 12 barbs, and before i placed them in the tank i had them in another tank with 2 angle fish, 6 guppys and about 10 neon tetras, (this tank is just an empty holding tank) and when i first put the barbs him one of them would chase the tetras, but after a while they left them alone and just chased eat other, no fish nipping ot tail nipping or aggression.

And now i have my barbs in their tank with a few dwaf cory catfish and shrimps (the the small cherry ones)

I recently just got a tank set up for my tiger barbs, i have a total of 12 barbs, and before i placed them in the tank i had them in another tank with 2 angle fish, 6 guppys and about 10 neon tetras, (this tank is just an empty holding tank) and when i first put the barbs him one of them would chase the tetras, but after a while they left them alone and just chased eat other, no fish nipping ot tail nipping or aggression.

And now i have my barbs in their tank with a few dwaf cory catfish and shrimps (the the small cherry ones)

You're keeping angelfish with tiger barbs?

I have 4 hexzona barbs, they are pretty mellow, school around, not all that fiesty..

This was the response I was secretly hoping I'd get :D.

How long were they in the tank together? Did you add the angels or barbs first? Were/are they juveniles?

All research suggests that the large shoals makes this species compatible. This post gave me hope I can have my tank lol.

It can be done im doing it with mature angels and little barbs.

All my fish would be purchased as juveniles. They said butterflyfish could be between 1 and 3 inches. What conditions can I replicate to make sure everyone gets along? Is there anything in particular you guys are doing? Large shoals, type of plants, etc?

I've read butterflyfish are top dwellers so there's a chance they could get along... I've read the tigers might stay in their own strata and not bother the top dwellers. If this tank works out it will look awesome!

This was the response I was secretly hoping I'd get :D.

How long were they in the tank together? Did you add the angels or barbs first? Were/are they juveniles?

All research suggests that the large shoals makes this species compatible. This post gave me hope I can have my tank lol.

haha, well glad you finally got the response =D

Like i said they were in a holding temp tank, i didn't plan on keeping them all together as i wanted a barb tank.

When they were all in the temp tank, the barbs didn't bother the angels (white ones) at all, the angels aren't mature, probably just over an inch in width, and they were in the tank together for 5 days, barbs were added last to the temp tank. The only thing that happened was at the beginning when barb was chasing a tetra and got a small nibble from its tail, then that's it.

Would suggest you keep the barbs in a group more than 8, 10-12 seems to be best according to other readings?

Right now, the angel guppies and neon tetras are in my sisters tank, and my tigers are in their own tank with 4 shrimps and cory catfish, no aggression towards the shrimps or the corys, they are always swimming in their group and playing =) fun fish to watch. here's a pic of the tank
DSC_0365-e1388936025765.jpg

Good luck with the tank, and do update us on the result and pics! =D

All my fish would be purchased as juveniles. They said butterflyfish could be between 1 and 3 inches. What conditions can I replicate to make sure everyone gets along? Is there anything in particular you guys are doing? Large shoals, type of plants, etc?

I've read butterflyfish are top dwellers so there's a chance they could get along... I've read the tigers might stay in their own strata and not bother the top dwellers. If this tank works out it will look awesome!

large shoals, space for the barbs to swim play and chase, plants and areas for other fish to hide just in case one of the barbs decides to be a bully.

I find my barbs spend their time all over the tank and like to feed off the bottom gravel, and dont bother my cory catfish or shrimps. Also feed them shell less peas and boiled zucchine and blood worms or baby brine shrimp every now and then. They love shell less peas!

Here's my barb tank, shrimps are behind the fossile tree and the cory catfish are eating of the back plants, can't see in the pic though
DSC_0365-e1388936025765.jpg

You're keeping angelfish with tiger barbs?

for a short period yes while waiting for the barb tank to cycle, tank was large enough and the barb shoal was large enough that they could bully and play with each other and not pick on their tank mates. they got along well =)

Back
Top Bottom