What Just Happened?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incogneto21

Aquarium Advice Regular
My dwarf gourami out of nowhere did a loopy loop about 6 times and died... It was crazy... What happened??

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tested your water recently?

Yea today Is the day I do my usual weekly 25% water change. On the API Test Kit the ph is 6.8, nitrite and nitrate 0 and the ammonia is less than .25 (the color chart says it's between yellow and light green). So about 2 hours after I did the water change he did that and died seconds after. :'( my guppies and sugarstripe pleco are fine.

your nitrate is 0? how is that? if you have everything cycled and running you should have at least something,.

The 0 reading is strange, but that ammonia isn't high enough to cause a death that quick. I am wondering of some other contaminant got into your tank.

Those readings may mean that the tank is not cycled or going through a mini cycle, but I don't know.

What type of water conditioner are you using?

The 0 reading is strange, but that ammonia isn't high enough to cause a death that quick. I am wondering of some other contaminant got into your tank. Those readings may mean that the tank is not cycled or going through a mini cycle, but I don't know. What type of water conditioner are you using?

I'm using Aqueon water conditioner, API stress coat and API quick fix.

I don't see any thing that could have caused this. Could just be a freak accident. How long has the tank been set up, and how long have you had the fish?

The tank has been set up for about 6 months. The guppies and candystripe pleco have been there ever since I started back In April. I decided to buy a new fish which was 3 days ago and he just died 2 hours ago.

When you tested you nitrates did you shack the bottles like an <mod edit>. Then add the drops and shack the test tube like an <mod edit>. I had the same issue but realized I didn't shack the bottles good enough.

Sorry shake

It could have been an acclimation issue. I had a sailfin green Molly go all crazy weird and die.

I would for sure retest the nitrates, read the instructions carefully with that test because it's easy to get an of reading. Shake the first bottle really well, put in your drops (its 10 I think) then shake the second bottle really well for a good 30 seconds, add the required number of drops then shake the test tube for a full minute. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes then you should have an accurate reading.

If you have only had the fish a short time it is likely an acclimation issue. You may be able to return it.

A good way to acclimate is to slowly put water from your aquarium into the bag. This will adjust the fish to the temperature of the water and the conditions.

Ok correction. I did the nitrate test again and the reading is inbetween 20-40.... Sooooo yea lol bad I guess right?

I would for sure retest the nitrates, read the instructions carefully with that test because it's easy to get an of reading. Shake the first bottle really well, put in your drops (its 10 I think) then shake the second bottle really well for a good 30 seconds, add the required number of drops then shake the test tube for a full minute. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes then you should have an accurate reading.

Thanks yea I did it correctly this time and the reading is between 20-40.

Just so we're on the same page, you add your water to the test tube and shake very well, then add test drops and shake very well again? I've always added my water to the test tube, then immediately added the test drops, then shake.

Back
Top Bottom