what kind of algae eater is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy0416

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can anyone tell me what kind of algae eater this is?

Attachments

• WP_20150117_13_38_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150117_13_38_51_Pro.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 142
Can you get a picture of its whole body? Based on that picture it could either be satan straight from the depths of the underworld or one of the most peaceful schooling fish around.

here's a better picture

Attachments

• WP_20150117_19_42_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150117_19_42_53_Pro.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 163
here's a better picture

Looks more like a Siamese algae eater or maybe a Chinese algae water but definitely not an otto

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

100% sure it's a Chinese algae eater.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Long time no see bichir ?? yup I seconed him^^

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Like I said, either the nicest schooling fish around or Satan straight from the depths of the underworld. In this case it happens to be satan. The siamese algae eaters, flying foxes, and oto cats all have a single solid stripe along their side. The chinese algae eaters have the vertical banding you're seeing on this fish.

My suggestion is to return him. These chinese algae eaters gain the reputation of sucking the eyeballs out of other fish and when they get bigger they just outright eat the other fish alive. They are one fish that do not belong in the hobby.

Like I said, either the nicest schooling fish around or Satan straight from the depths of the underworld. In this case it happens to be satan. The siamese algae eaters, flying foxes, and oto cats all have a single solid stripe along their side. The chinese algae eaters have the vertical banding you're seeing on this fish.

My suggestion is to return him. These chinese algae eaters gain the reputation of sucking the eyeballs out of other fish and when they get bigger they just outright eat the other fish alive. They are one fish that do not belong in the hobby.

They are vicious fish that get big!! Around 8+ inches. Also are aggressive and have heard stories about (like mebbid stated) attacking and cleaning fish

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

They are vicious fish that get big!! Around 8+ inches. Also are aggressive and have heard stories about (like mebbid stated) attacking and cleaning fish

My uncle has a 90gish tank and the only fish it hasn't killed is a large Jack Dempsey. Any time they've tried to add another fish their chinese algae eater killed it.

My uncle has a 90gish tank and the only fish it hasn't killed is a large Jack Dempsey. Any time they've tried to add another fish their chinese algae eater killed it.

WOW. How big is it?

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

+1 to Chinese. Get rid of it immediately!!!! I had one it grew like a weed killed my Siamese algae eater. And worst of all did a half *** job of eating algae.

Shep

Great.. I bought it at a local pet store going out of business. No returns :ermm: Maybe I'll see if anyone else will house it then. Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

Yeah, get that SOB out of your tank ASAP!! It's a killer in disguise, I've seen them harass fish to death!

A friend of mine actually wants to take it off my hands, so there's that. Do you guys have any suggestions on a different algae eater that is less deadly? lol

Otocinclus sir :) I have 3 in my 10 gallon but their top fin is not as developed as those

Back
Top Bottom