what kind of catfish do i have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
i bought these today at walmart(i know but there cheap and iv never had one die or infect my tank) no1 there knew what they were they just sold me them for the price that was on the fish that were in there tank with them. the all black ohn e swims upside down but is long and slender. the other one is shaped like my pictus but dosnt have the long wiskers and has a black dot behind his gill with a faded black line down his back other than that hes mostly gold i looked on a few sites were you can buy fish and didnt see any that looked alike any info would be helpfull

Attachments

• 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 186
upside down catfish?
Catfish-Upside-Down.jpg

not sure on the other one yet.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/

i have one of those and the new one looks nothing like it. its fins arnt lacy, there nice and clean and its not short and chubby? r there diff breads of the upside down? i havent seen any that were long and slender i do thank you for taking time to help me

ok so iv been doing some looking and comparing the one with the black dot on its side is a bullseye catfish it can grow to be 18in long as for the all black one the closest iv found is a lophiobagrus brevispinio gona keep looking thoe and find more info an bothof them

The second pic is of a sun cat fish. Id be carefull is i were you. That fish can grow over a foot and it will eat any thing that fits in its mouth. Mine ate all 7 of my dainos withing a week.

+1 The second is definitly a sun catfish...will get to around a foot more likely 9 inchs or so but possibly more, 18 inches isnt impossible in the wild but I haven't heard of it in an aquarium. The black one isn't an upside down catfish I'd need a better pic, possibly from the side to say for sure.

yes the second is also known as a solar cat and an eclipce cat, its only 2 in long at the monent so the only thing he can get in his mouth is a goast shrimp witch is the reason there in ther is to feed and clean. ill try to get a better pic of the black one again thank you for helping me identify these guys

im having a real hard time getting a good pic of the black one. it has a lil white speck under his head and a few lighter colderd spots on its sides like 5 on one side and 8 or 9 in the other there is no pattern to there placment

i found out what kind of cat the all black one is. it is an upside down catfish best known as the giant asian upside down catfish. can get up to foot long and very aggresive towrds anything smaller than 3/4 its own size i thank enybodythat helped out

i dont have that big of tank just a 75gal ill prob wait till he gets 5-6in long or till he eats something and take him to the pet store and try to trade im in on somthing else i have sun cat the same size that i have been told is gona be the same way so that mite be both there destination

Alright I was just at a trusted fish store (a none chain one AKA a dude with 40 year of experience) and i was asking if i could maybe trade in my sun cat fish when he gets to large for my tank and the dude looks at me with a face so weird i had to despratly stop myself from saying "29 gallon fish tank-130$, Sun catfish-5.00$, having a fish expert look at you with a face only a mother could love-priceless."

It was histerical and then he goes "not ever, not with comunity tanks" , his fish store was centered around comunitys tank, tetras, dainos, he only had two discus with only one for sale he also had chilads. I dont think he wanted a fish that was going to out grow his biggest tank in the store. Oh and he had a 42 year old fish or somthing that he raised from a baby i think it was a paku or somthing. He is the type of fish store owner that wont sell fish untill they have fully accummulated to his tanks. AKA he wont sell stressed or sick fish. This fish store has been open ever since my dad got into fish tanks and that was a long time ago. I highly recomend him if you are able to get to him.(ask if you want to know where) He sells real under water plants including sword plants, java moss and baby tears. He knows his stuff. He recently got a batch of endlers livebearers and wont sell them yet cuz the havent accumulated. As you can see i love this store. Another thing is that all his fish are so brightly colored they look fake. The last time we were their my dad was staring at a tank and then jumped back in suprised. I asked him i what was wrong and he pointed to a female betta in the tank and says "for a moment their i thought that was fake."

Its a great store and no it is in new york. Not one of the expensive stores, it is in one of the 5 boros

Back
Top Bottom