what kind of cloudy water is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think it's algae, but it could be from the substrate also. This is with all lights off, black background it looks green, but in a white bucket, it looks yellow. Thanks!
img_698526_0_0e2a6719ead1457adbcb89590a1652a6.jpg

ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrates-10-20
don't have any of those other tests to see why I have green water. I have had the temp up though. I always do it when starting a tank to kill off possible ich and then slowly lower it to 80 after 2 months or so. It can happen from excess heat right? That is why I am thinking this happens to me. I just am having a hard time commiting to a full 4 day blackout. I guess I should just bite the bullet.

The blackout may only fix it temporarily... Best to find the root cause and eliminate it.

the normal casue of green water is either to much light and no co2 or an imbalance of nitrate/phosphate ratio. i have been having green water problems becasue my phosphates are not in ratio to my nitrates. maybe a phosphate test kit will be worth the few bucks to balance the tank.

I know its not the best solution...but I had nowhere else to turn in my 150 gallon...a UV sterilizer along with using a Diatom Filter to take out the dead material has done the trick to me. I'v ehad crystal clear water for 3 days now...thats a major record since the problem arose.

I still need to fix the inherent problem...but haven't got around to it yet.

I've used the blackout method before when I had an algae bloom and it cleared it within 48 hours; I've not had the problem since (and the fish in that tank were fine). If you add more plants they will compete with algae for nutrients and that should also ease the problem. Malimo moss balls are fairly good at doing this.

I wouldn't use a chemical treatment, in case you were thinking that :D

Another fix which might help is extending your background to the side of your tank nearest the window in the room (if there is one). Algae tends to be spurred on by indirect light (not *just* direct light), so covering the side of your tank if it's side on to a window might help also.

Thanks everyone! I never use chem treatments. I feel like they are a "no-no". They kill the good along with the bad and the fish shouldn't have to suffer for my tank being cloudy. I am going to do another pwc and see how things are. I did n't have carbon filters in there, only those bid floss ones and it looks like there is brown crub just flowing through the floss, so I bought 2 carbon filters and I'll give it a few days along with the pwc adn see how it looks by Friday night. If it is worse or greener, I'll do a weekend blackout. Thanks again! Oh, I am also going to add sides to the tank because the window is to the right of the tank about 2 feet away :x It is the only place I could put it though.

The higher the light level (if nutrients are provided) the faster and larger the population can grow. Direct light is often the cause of GW, and indirect light is as well (to a lesser extent).

The warmer the temperature, the faster everything in the tanks metabolism is, including the GW algae.

I'd do a large PWC (50-75%), then a 2-3 day blackout and then do another large PWC. Definately cover the sides of the tank. One thing I have done with my tank is to block the sides and back (the back with a background, and the sides with mylar balloons), and to create a "curtain" of mylar balloons that I attach to the front with tape during the day when I'm at work. The tank lights are then really the only light getting in the tank, and you can simply remove the front piece when you wish to view the tank.

This also has the added benefit of reflecting the light from the hoodlight back into the tank giving you more usable light from your hoodlight. (beneficial if you are growing plants)

That was a typo, I meant "not just direct light".

Edit: I also disagree with the need to do a water change to remove an algae bloom. I've found a blackout alone works nearly all of the time. I'd recommend doing the blackout first, and then if it hasn't cleared then try doing a water change followed by a repeated attempt at a period of 48-hours with no lighting or feeding.

No prob on the typo, just didn't want a new member to think it was fine in the window but not in the corner :). Maybe edit your above post so others don't read it and miss these posts. I'll delete my previous post as well.

I still prefer a large PWC before as you are physically removing a LOT of biomedia that will rot into ammonia and have to be converted by the biofilter if left in during the blackout. This can lead to an ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte spike in the tank that can cause problems.

7Enigma said:
No prob on the typo, just didn't want a new member to think it was fine in the window but not in the corner :). Maybe edit your above post so others don't read it and miss these posts. I'll delete my previous post as well.

I still prefer a large PWC before as you are physically removing a LOT of biomedia that will rot into ammonia and have to be converted by the biofilter if left in during the blackout. This can lead to an ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte spike in the tank that can cause problems.

Yup, good idea, keep forgetting we can edit here :D I made the change.

On the water change front: I just don't like disturbing my water conditions too abruptly with something like that; the bloom will have occured 'naturally' so a more gradual termination of the problem (i.e. the algae :)) seems better. I deal with loaches though and they always get stroppy with me whenever I do a water change lol (it's 'tough' for them on the twice a week front tho :p).
One point to bear in mind about water changes (or other methods) to abate a bloom is this: that killing off a large amount of algae in a short space of time will affect oxygen levels. I've read this (though never had a problem with a blackout and oxygen depletion) and it seemed to make sense since algae is plant matter after all.

I don't like to do large water changes either. I do 30% the most. It really looks alot better already. We'll see if it turns green again.

Then we're about 20min apart. Let me know if you ever find a store that sells Nerata (nerite snails). I've been looking in the area and have found nothing to date.

I currently go to WorldWide Aquarium and Pets in Upper Darby (about 10min from my house). While it looks like a $@#! hole, they have very good tank maintainence, and the owner is very knowledgeable. Prices are pretty good as well.

I go to worldwide too, but mine is in mayfair 10 minutes from me. Cool! I'll check for you when I go out this weekend ;) Oh, back to topic, my tank is crystal today!

Attachments

• picture_093_963.jpg
    picture_093_963.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom