What kind of fish do you think I should add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have 12 silver hatchet fish, 8 otos, 6 black phantom tetras, 7 neons, and 12 amano shrimps in my 75g. I want add some more fish but I'm not sure on what type of fish to get. I'm mostly looking for a fish from South America. Anyone got any suggestions on what would look good and go well with my other SA fish?

I'm mostly looking for a fish from South America.

Most SA species consider shrimp a tasty treat. I have heard of folks who've had success with this setup so YMMV. I would love to have shrimp in my tank but I've been advised too many times against it.

If you do want to give it a try, I would suggest the dwarf cichlids (apistos):

or try bolivian rams..which are easier to care for than gbr's or why not a small pleco like a bristlenose pleco...

Jchillin said:
I'm mostly looking for a fish from South America.

Most SA species consider shrimp a tasty treat. I have heard of folks who've had success with this setup so YMMV. I would love to have shrimp in my tank but I've been advised too many times against it.

If you do want to give it a try, I would suggest the dwarf cichlids (apistos):

I've had my amano for almost 2 years and most are about 1 and half to 2 inches in size. I have two amanos that are small (1 inch). I definitely want a small fish, nothing that gets bigger than 3 inches. I think I just might go with a dwarf cichlid. I think maybe 1 or 2 GBRs might go well with my other fish. I doubt a GBR would be able to fit one of my amanos into its mouth. I also think amanos have spines under their abdomen for protection.

unfamous said:
or try bolivian rams..which are easier to care for than gbr's or why not a small pleco like a bristlenose pleco...

Bolivian rams get too large (6 inches) and I don’t think one would work out in my tank. I think that if I’m able to keep hatchets and otos (both are sensitive fish) happy and healthy, GBRs shouldn’t be that much of a problem. I may have to do water changes more frequently though (maybe every 5 days instead of 7).

If I were going to add a pleco, I would most likely get a BN pleco because they’re really gentle on plant leaves.

Well I think I have made up my mind. German blue rams! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Bolivians get to 3 inches max. Mine are full-grown and breeding, and not quite 3 inches. I'd say do a combo of Bolivians and GBR's. :)

i'd say apistos would be a fresh idea because everyone else has rams anyway :lol

(yes i know i'm guilty of this too)

they have a really sweet selection of apistos at liveaquaria.com

Oh I didn't realize bolivians grow to be the same size as GBRs. I always thought they grew larger. In that case I might consider them as well. Thanks for clearing that up!

One thing that concerns me is that my male black phantoms like to chase each other and fight a lot. They also like to chase the females around the tank and swim circles around them. Do you think that a GBR or a bolivian would interfere with their behavior? I wouldn’t want the black phantoms to feel insecure and stop acting normal because of a bigger fish.

SeymourFRESH said:
i'd say apistos would be a fresh idea because everyone else has rams anyway :lol

I know, but rams are so purdy and I think 1 or 2 would look great in my tank :D

I checked out those apistos but they're all labeled as semi-aggressive. I only want peaceful fish in my tank.

They also say 3 inches for GBR's, but the GBR's I have had for a while are nowhere near 3 inches. Had them almost as long as the Bolivians.

Friendly said:
Oh I didn't realize bolivians grow to be the same size as GBRs. I always thought they grew larger. In that case I might consider them as well. Thanks for clearing that up!

One thing that concerns me is that my male black phantoms like to chase each other and fight a lot. They also like to chase the females around the tank and swim circles around them. Do you think that a GBR or a bolivian would interfere with their behavior? I wouldn’t want the black phantoms to feel insecure and stop acting normal because of a bigger fish.

SeymourFRESH said:

I know, but rams are so purdy and I think 1 or 2 would look great in my tank :D

I checked out those apistos but they're all labeled as semi-aggressive. I only want peaceful fish in my tank.

If it were me, I'd get the rams in 3's. Always seems to be best. And for the sexes, doesn't matter. Like my 2 male and 1 female Bolivians, 2 paired off and the 3rd is only chased away during spawning. When not spawning, they all get along great. And the female won't spawn with that other male, as the bond between the pair seems to be unbreakable, and from what I read, it's for life.

Lonewolfblue said:
They also say 3 inches for GBR's, but the GBR's I have had for a while are nowhere near 3 inches. Had them almost as long as the Bolivians.

Wow I didn't think they would stay that small. I've never seen a ram in real life before, only pictures. Well I guess I won't have to worry about them bothering my other fish if they're going to be that small :).

Lonewolfblue said:
If it were me, I'd get the rams in 3's. Always seems to be best. And for the sexes, doesn't matter. Like my 2 male and 1 female Bolivians, 2 paired off and the 3rd is only chased away during spawning. When not spawning, they all get along great. And the female won't spawn with that other male, as the bond between the pair seems to be unbreakable, and from what I read, it's for life.

I definitely hope to get a male and female together. I don't think having three males in the same tank would be a good thing lol.

Friendly said:
I definitely hope to get a male and female together. I don't think having three males in the same tank would be a good thing lol.

3 males isn't a bad thing. Just won't have any spawning. They are community fish and even with 3 males or 3 females, will get along great. Just having one of each sex is a bonus if they hook up, if you know what I mean, lol. (y)

Lonewolfblue said:
Friendly said:

3 males isn't a bad thing. Just won't have any spawning. They are community fish and even with 3 males or 3 females, will get along great. Just having one of each sex is a bonus if they hook up, if you know what I mean, lol. (y)

I just thought that there might have been some aggressiveness between the males. It's good to know that they'll get along :D.

Figured I would jump in here. I have a full grown bolivian, and one medium one. Neither could fit a 1 inch cherry shrimp in its mouth. So thats reassuring for you ;) (One of my cherrys died a few days back and I saw them... TRYING to eat it.... to no avail).

:crazyeyes: I kept apistos and rams in a peaceful, semi-planted 50 gallon for about a year (filter and water quality problems ruined that grouping). I have never read apistos having different temperments from rams. Rams are great, but apistos are so unique and beautiful.

Andyvette said:
Figured I would jump in here. I have a full grown bolivian, and one medium one. Neither could fit a 1 inch cherry shrimp in its mouth. So thats reassuring for you ;) (One of my cherrys died a few days back and I saw them... TRYING to eat it.... to no avail).

lol I'm glad to hear that! I feel much better now about putting rams in my tank :D.

Menagerie said:
:crazyeyes: I kept apistos and rams in a peaceful, semi-planted 50 gallon for about a year (filter and water quality problems ruined that grouping). I have never read apistos having different temperments from rams. Rams are great, but apistos are so unique and beautiful.

I definitely agree, apistos are very nice looking cichlids! I really like the agassiz's cichlid. I have never kept apistos or any other kind of cichlid before so I don't really know much about them or have any experience with them. I'll have to read up on apistos some more.

Friendly said:
Andyvette said:

lol I'm glad to hear that! I feel much better now about putting rams in my tank :D.

hehe
That sounded bad.... heres another one. My Neons tried to eat it too..... :D

Back
Top Bottom