what kind of fish do you think this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i bought 2 cichlids out of a mix cichlid tank and i think they are kenyi but i am not 100% sure. i was hoping for some opinions from some more experienced cichlid keeps. thanks in advance. in the pic it is the bottom fish.

Definately not a Kenyi. Neither one is. Kenyi's do not have the yellow fins that are shown in the picture and they only have 5 stripes. My best guess would be a mix specie. But if it's not, the yellow fins point towards an Elongatus Mpanga or possibly a Zebra Chilumba. How big is the fish?

the top one i realise is not a kenyi and i know that it is an elongatis mpanga but the other one is a mystery. it is about an inch and a half long and not very agressive. i was worried that it was a kenyi becasue i heard they can get very agressive when they get older. i am going to repost this in the general disscussion to get more response. i would just move the post but i dont know how so please respond in the new one if u read this.

Do you have a site reference dingogirl? The mouth structure of the fish posted does not resemble the characteristics of the Trewavasae's. The Trewavasae has a downturned mouth. It would have to be of a Pseudotropheus, Maylandia, or Melanochromis grouping due to the facial and body characteristics.

Isn't the Red Top Zebra actually Maylandia emmiltos?

I love Google for making me look smart; I don't know the first thing about this. :)

The Red Top Zebra is a common name for the Maylandia Greshakei . It is also known as an Ice Blue. Whether or not the Emmiltos is known as a Red Top also, I have no idea. But the fish above looks like a cross breed. The Emmiltos has nice even stripings and does not have the yellow finnage like the one above does. But, it's a good guess. :D Africans are tricky to ID since any african will breed with any other african. They are not selective like most fish.

Back
Top Bottom