What kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoMoreGoldFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got sent to Hong Kong on a four year job assignment last year, I've settled in pretty well and am glad to find out that all the fish are VERY cheap here and the variety of fish available is quite astounding. Anyway, I went to the fish street today (yeah, not a fish store but a fish street, I'm spoiled for choice), and saw this bad boy (see attachment) in one of the shops going for HK$30k, which is around $4000 in greenbacks. That's just mind-blowingly expensive, considering I stocked my whole 30G tank for less than $8 (8 neon tetras, 8 glofish, 2 neon blue dwarf gouramis and 6 albino cory cats).

What kinda fish is this, and why are they so expensive? Maybe I should start breeding them so I can quit my day job. :ermm:

Attachments

• fishie.jpg
    fishie.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 108
they are prized fish!
And to many in the asian culture, the arowana is said to bring good luck and fortune.
Keeping an arowana is also really good for Feng Shui.

$4000 dollars for a single arowana is expensive - unless it was a show quality, fully grown specimen.
On average they sell from $500-$1500 at my LFS.

They are also extremely expensive because many varieties are on the Global Endangered Species list - and it is illegal to possess, transport, or sell Arrowanas that are harvested in Asia to the United States.

Arrowanas that are born and raised in the United States are cheaper and legal.

Thats an Asian Arrowana and like stated above they are in the Endangered species list. In Japan they have some high tech breeders who are selling colored varieties for thousands. They are illegal in the USA. Twenty years ago they were rare and expensive at $100-$200 and once in awhile, I would come across one at a LFS. But of course they were unaware and confused them with the South American "Silver Arrowana" which then were about $15. There are also black arrowanas and australian also.

Asian tend to have a rounder rear end and have a stockier look than your typical silver.

Back
Top Bottom