What kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Egg laying fish such as these barbs do not become gravid ('pregnant') in the way that you would think of in reference to livebearing fish, as fertilization and subsequent development occur outside of the fishes' bodies. They are egg scatterers, meaning that during mating, the female will scatter her eggs in various places in the tank, and the male will follow her, fertilizing them. They do not exhibit any parental care whatsoever and will be just as happy to eat their own eggs as to scatter and fertilize them.

Thanks. That is informative. I just googled for more info as well. I am not sure which tank I should put them in or set up a new tank. I have a 10 gal sparsely planted tank with 5 otos. I also have a 30 gallon housing 11 female Bettas and 4 ghost shrimps. What shall I do?

If you dont care much about breeding them, just leave them be. Either they will do the deed on their own, and provide a tasty and nutritious snack for your other fish, or they won't. :)

It would be neat to see them breed. I think my kids would enjoy watching. I was thinking the 10 gallon oto tank would be good for them. What do you think? Also I inherited a neon tetra with the barbs. Can I put him with the betta sorority? Will it stress him out badly? I read that they do better with groups of 5+ neons.

One more question. If i were to put them in my existing tank, do i need to quarantine them?

Nice looking fish! That tank looks a little small for them though. What size is it?

It would be neat to see them breed. I think my kids would enjoy watching. I was thinking the 10 gallon oto tank would be good for them. What do you think? Also I inherited a neon tetra with the barbs. Can I put him with the betta sorority? Will it stress him out badly? I read that they do better with groups of 5+ neons.

One more question. If i were to put them in my existing tank, do i need to quarantine them?

I'd say any new fish should be properly acclimated .. I prefer drip acclimation ... and then QT'd for about a month. Unfortunately with fish from CL, you never know the conditions the fish were in .. Though they look fine from your pics.

I would suggest you get some more neons ... They are schooling fish and a single neon will feel stressed ... Particularly in a tank with larger fish.

I just got them last night. They came in a 10 gal very filthy tank. I didn't have time to clean the tank, but didn't want them sitting in the dirty water all night. I decided to put them in a temporary 1.5 gal hex until I can have the 10 gal cleaned and set up today.

Unfortunately, these fish will eventually grow too large to live in a 10 gallon tank. I had some that I kept in a 30 gallon long tank and they are quite active swimmers if given the opportunity. I would suggest that you look for a new home for the gold barbs, and look into some species that will comfortable in your 10 gallon tank in the long term. I hope this does not sound harsh at all, as it is obvious you are trying to do the right thing for your fish and you simply found yourself in this situation.

I just bought a 20 long. Will this be alright for the barbs? I also bought 5 neon tetras to keep the lone neon tetra company. Can they all be housed in the same tank? I also wanted to put 5 baby female Bettas in there as well. Will this be overstocking it?

A 20gal long I'd say will work for a few gold barbs and the neon tetras ... I bought one myself ... I really like 20longs, same footprint as a 29gal. I don't have betta's so I can't comment if 5 would be a bit too much... I would think it's not too much... But I really can't say.

I would definitely skip the 5 female bettas, personally. Once those barbs grow larger, you will have plenty of flashy fish in your 20 gallon since you got those neons. Groups of female bettas rarely get along, in the long term, from what I have read and also personally experienced.

Back
Top Bottom