What kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slufa111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been trying to find out but not much luck... disregard my plecos tail and the crab :)

He cleans up the tank real nice but, does attach himself to my gouranmi from time to time.:fish2:

Attachments

• 20150625_160826.jpg
    20150625_160826.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 90
It's a Chinese algae eater, they are known for eating the slime coat and eyes of other fish.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

By the way, Ill be a frequent poster here. Thanks for having me.

Eat the eyes? Holy smokes....is this rare or should I be concerned?

Somewhat rare, but much more common is eating fish slime which is probably what it's done to your gourami. That can lead to serious infection. They're a pretty terrible fish generally- aggressive and kleptoparasitic.

Thats not good. I bought this tank from one of my buddies and only didn't know of 1 or 2 of the fish in the tank. Should I donate the fish to my LFS?

Thats not good. I bought this tank from one of my buddies and only didn't know of 1 or 2 of the fish in the tank. Should I donate the fish to my LFS?

That's definitely what I would do if it were me. I don't know any really serious fishkeeper who doesn't avoid those fish like the plague.

Ged rid of the algae eater...

But I seriously have to ask. Is that crab fully submerged and in freshwater? That is a fiddler crab which needs brackish water and access to air or it will not live long.

And what size tank is this? If it's anything smaller than a 100 gallon that pleco has got to go.

I know, the pleco is huge and needs a different tank which unfortunately thats the way my buddy kept it. I have been meaning to arrange some kind of swap with my LFS but I just moved and I am on leave from work. It has been a crazy few weeks. As far as the crab goes, I gave him a pickle jar that was given a "sandy beach" front on the other side of the tank, he never goes in it though. First time owning a crab. Its a 55gallon by the way. Thanks for the tips.:fish2:

They are two Rhino plecos just in case anyone was curious

Back
Top Bottom