What kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chavis.jermel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
575103ce02e3beae6c19d0310ccade2b.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

From this angle it might be an oto... Does it suck to the bottom or side?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

No it doesn't I believe they are black dace minnow I did a little research I found a school in a stream behind my house and scooped 2 of them with my net

I think the second picture is an oto. The first one might be a Siamese flying fox. I'm no expert but that's my guess.

The fish in the first pic appears to be a blacknose dace.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yes it is I've done a little research but most of the information I've found is about keeping them for bait but my son really likes that we found them outside instead of the store any advice on how too keep them alive for a while

If the line goes all the way to the end of his tail, it is a Siamese algae eater (kinda rare). If the stripe stops at the beginning of his tail, it is a false Siamese algae eater. The both eat algae, but slightly different kinds. They get to be about 5-6 inches long. The second pic is an oto cat, and they are not the same!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the line goes all the way to the end of his tail, it is a Siamese algae eater (kinda rare). If the stripe stops at the beginning of his tail, it is a false Siamese algae eater. The both eat algae, but slightly different kinds. They get to be about 5-6 inches long. The second pic is an oto cat, and they are not the same!

I'm pretty sure it's a minnow

Haha could be! [emoji23]

Haha could be! [emoji23]

It was caught by net in a stream near the OPs house.
I would provide decent aeration, maintain good water quality, and no heat. It will probably only accept live foods at first and may not eat for a while. Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms or tubifex would probably be more readily accepted over flakes. I've kept them as a kid with goldfish and they eventually will accept flakes.
More info on US native fishes.

It was caught by net in a stream near the OPs house.
I would provide decent aeration, maintain good water quality, and no heat. It will probably only accept live foods at first and may not eat for a while. Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms or tubifex would probably be more readily accepted over flakes. I've kept them as a kid with goldfish and they eventually will accept flakes.
More info on US native fishes.

Thanks I have them in a 10gal with a air stone they seem too eat the flakes they seem to be pretty healthy as of now

at fist i thought sae, but i think you are right about the dace.

to keep it alive i would try to get more from the stream, also test the streams water, ph, temp, ect. and try to match the water in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom