What kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rohitp78

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to local fish store and saw this freshwater fish, Can anyone identify it?

Attachments

• 51210001.jpg
    51210001.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 239
Thats what I was thinking, possibly a relative of the Madagascan Rainbow, but the spots and Hi-Fin made me think of the syno.

The pic i took with my cell phone and hence not so clear. I did not see any rainbow colors on this fish, but its eyes were transparent blue/white.

hi again...

Are you sure freshwater? Looks brackish as in the Fan Dancer Gobies.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/brackish_water/brackish.htm#puffer
goby_fan_dancer_w240.jpg

Yeah this is the same fish as in my LFS, It was in freshwater section. I read the link you posted and seems they can adapt to freshwater.

"Fan Dancer Gobies are brackish water fish. They can gradually adapt to living in either freshwater or saltwater but do best in water with 1 Tablespoon of aquarium salt per each 5 gallons of aquarium water."

Probably my LFS had already adapted ones .... Thanks for the reply...

I wonder if the lfs has turned the tank into brackish and just didn't label it. At the lfs here, there were 3 tanks that were freshwater, then one day the fish were moved and there were puffers in there, and hadn't changed the print on the tank yet, said freshwater. A couple days later I went back, and they changed it. Or it could have been acclimated for freshwater before the lfs got it and it's in freshwater. Anyways, nice looking fish.

My LFS has brackish tank in other section, but next time when i go to LFS i will ask them if the tank containing gobies is freshwater or brackish water.

Back
Top Bottom