What kind of Light do i have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russianaquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, does anyone know exactly what kind of light this is? Because I read information online about plants and stuff and it says like need medium to high or medium light, some say it needs so many watts for gallon? So how medium or low is this light and how many watts is it per gallon? I have a 30 long gallon aquarium. Is it a good light? I bought it with the Aqueon hood kit thing, thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0275.jpg
    DSCF0275.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0276.jpg
    DSCF0276.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 76
It's low light

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

that would qualify in the low maybe med category depending on tank depth & distance from the surface the light is hung. WPG is outdated
read this yes all 450+replies,(lol or browse thru to find the info on that light)

all charts are updated,they were edited as the thread progressed.
to understand the PAR value you desire however requires more reading thru the thread.
Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - The Planted Tank Forum

good luck

No but you could get a t8 bulb like that to go in your fixture but specifically for plants and that should solve the issue. I don't know if Aqueon makes one but there's another brand that does, I can find a link for it

You current light should grow some plants. Easy, low light plants are
Java Ferns
Java Moss
Anubias
Crypts
Amazon Swords ( usually grow for me).

The light is only part of it. What kind of substrate are you using ? Gravel, sand, eco-complete ? Any of them can grow plants...some make it easier.

You need to decide what your ultimate goal is ?
Easy Care low light tank ?
Higher maintenance Med-high light tank with CO2 ?

Low light doesn't mean a bare tank.

My 10g low light tank
https://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

2 mini CFLs, but not a tall tank. I used weekly ferts and weekly water changes plus DIY Root Tabs buried in the sand.

For plants I have lilaeopsis brasiliensis, bacopa caroliniana, sword plant, moneywort, hornwort, java moss, and lutea... i think the only plant that will have trouble with my light is the lilaeopsis, apperently moneywort need high light... but its growing amazingly fast?!?!

He meant he is following this thread. By replying to it, he will be notified when there are new replies.

Hello, I just found out exactly what my light is, its a t8 17 watt tube light 24'' and apparently it has 8000K. How good is it? Because most of my plants require medium light...

Because your tank is not too deep that light may be fine. I've grown Medium light plants under low light bulbs.

Just see how the plants do.
The Micro Sword may just grow tall and scraggly. Making a perfect "lawn" typically requires High Light and CO2.

Hello, so I finally purchased a new light... but am not sure if I like it... I bought the aqua-glow 18000K light... it says its rated for fish and a planted aquarium... and it makes the tank look purpleish and the fish kinda glow? What do you guys think? Or is the aqueon Floramax better? I still have time to switch. Thanks

Get this

A1634 20-Watt Life-Glo 2 Fluorescent Bulb, 24-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHSPU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tWOlybXQACYG6

And this

Aqua-GLO T8 Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 20 W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQLRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZXOlyb4Q0YSTG

I was suggested going with 2 different bulb in my fixture. Maybe you need to go with two life-glo rather than a mix of aqua and life. It's all about colour spectrum.

As you told me I chose the aqua glo t8 20w with 18000K Do you think this light will grow my plants? It makes the fish glow.. and is less bright than the full spectrum aqueon. Thanks (I could only get 1 because only 1 light fits in my fixture, and bought the aqua-glo because the life glow was really cheap in my pet store and was rated for only fish and not plants...)

Back
Top Bottom