What kind of platy should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishshl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to buy three platies.
There are several different kinds in my LFS.
Red Wag Tail Platy, Red Wag Tail Platy , dwarf platy or others?
Which one is hardy?
What do you suggest?

Thanks

i got 2 red wag tail dwarf platies and they are extremely hardy. Fun to watch too, they are always together, and playing... platies are one of my favorite tropical fish. BTW welcome to AA

Platies are my ABSOLUTE favorite fish EVER. My favorite is the mickey moush platy. They are VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY hardy!!!!!! I didn't have too much luck with the sunset platies but my tank was screwed up(long story that I won't get into). So if my tank was scewed up and my mickey mouse platys lived for a year( moved and got rid of them so don't know if they are still living).

I really like the blue wag-tail ones myself although I only see them when i don't have room for them in my tank!!!

Good luck on your platies! They are SOOo fun to watch!!

welcome to AA!

I personally find that platies are very hardy. Which ones at your lfs appeal to you the most? If you want to have babies get one male and two females. If not get 3 males. Quite often the females can come from the lfs pregnant.

I plan to have one male Red Wag Tail Platy, one female mickey mouse platys, 2 female dwarf planty(I guess it's called corel sunset platies too).

Can Red Wag Tail Platy mate with dwarf platy which only 1.5" full size?

I have two Orangy-Red Dwarf Platys and I love them. They are cute and very active. Mine havent bred though...hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom