What kind of pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All. First I want to apologize for not participating lately. Things got pretty crazy right after Christmas. My stepdaughter's mother, who had been fighting cancer for several years, started a rapid downhill slide in November. She got worse and worse, and died on Jan. 7th, with the funeral the following week in Indiana. We were all very close, there was never the typical animosity among divorced people. Once the grandkids came along especially, we did all our holidays together and other get togethers. Anyway, that's why I haven't been around.

Back to fishy business. My 75 gal. builds up algae pretty quickly. It's in front of a window, but that's the only place I could put it. I keep the blinds closed when the sun's shining in that window, but some still filters through.

What kind of pleco (or other fish) would be great for eating the green algae? See my sig below for current residents, and the 3 clown loaches will be going in there soon, also.

TIA

Well, i've got a bulldog pleco that does quite a nice job in my small tank, not sure if you should get two of them because you have such a big tank. I think some plecos dont get along. But hopefully someone with good pleco knowlage will post :)

The bulldog/rubbernosed pleco would be a good choice. I keep multiple bulldogs in a tank without aggression. You could also get a pair of bristlenoses. They are great algae eaters also.

well any pleco would be great. my common plecos clean, atleast the smaller one does -- just stay away from any large pleco and by large i mean anything about 5 inches because they are just lazy and wont even bother with the algae

First of all, I am sorry for your loss. I hope all is well now.
On the subject of the algae, I have heard that the bristlenose pleco is very good for this. I was in need of an algae eater in my 20 gallon tank, I tried some ottos, But I could not seem to keep them alive. :oops: I bought a snail, I think it is a mystery snail, and it really does a good job, so far. I am hoping to get a larger tank, and I was studying on getting a couple of the bristlenose plecos. I have attached a link to the fish. HTH!

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/triradiatusbn.xml

I am glad to see you are back with us. My condolences to you and your family on your loss.

For an algae cleaner, I like rubber lips and bristle noses. With the pictus cats, I would stay away from otos.

Menagerie said:
With the pictus cats, I would stay away from otos.

Yeah, I wouldn't dream of putting otos in there. Besides being lunch for the pictus cats, they'd be impossible to find if I ever had to move them for any reason. :lol:

I like the bulldog pleco, mine has cleared my entire tank of algae in 4 days, he is also active all day. you could also look into any of the clown plecos. they are also active and consume a large amount of algae.

Sorry about your loss. Bushy Nose, and Rubbelip plecos do great for a tank yuor size if you wanted to have only 1 pleco with a tank that size go with a Royal Pleco they get about 10 inches.

JMHO

Working in a Aquarium shop, I will tell you if I have a dirty tank, IN goes the Brisslenose. they work wonders

Back
Top Bottom