What Kind Of Set-Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
My B-day is this week so...I GET TO START A NEW AQUARIUM!!!So my aunt is giving me $500 to make my masterpiece(I hope -_-).There are some requirements to have.It has to be planted and the budget is $500.I am open to any suggestions.Thanks!!!!

55 gallon w/stand~$250 less if you buy used
lighting is cheap~$75
CO2 injected for about $100 if you look in the right places (most expensive part is the tank.)
Fish and plants and test kits w/ the rest~$75

Well around here, a CO2 cylinder alone will run you $100. With a beveridge regulator and a clippard needle valve, add about $50 more to the tab.

When I got my 75gallon setup, I got tank, glass lids, cabinet, Rena Filstar Xp2, heater, net for about $500 from the LFS.

I'd like to know ScottM's "$75 cheap lighting" solution too.

In reality, a high light, 'high tech' planted tank will run $10-$20 per gallon to setup, not including fish or plants. If you don't want high light, that saves a lot of cash due to lower lighting cost, and no CO2 injection equipment.

I would love to have a decent light set up for $75.00 too.

I would get all the other equipment (canister filter, heaters, thermometers, substrate, etc.) online. Yes, even the substrate...though they charge additional for the weight, it is still cheaper than LFS. BigAlsonline still has the Fluval 404 for less than $100 and thatfishplace sells Estes gravel for about $8.00 for 25lb bag.

And don't forget if you print out an item on line and take it to a lfs, they will usually price match the item for you.
Example: API's Master test kit at PetsMart on line is $14.99, $24.99 in store. Take the print out with you and save $10.00 :)

I just bought a Maxi-Jet 400 powerhead. PetsMart's online price is $13.99. A family owned lfs sells it for $25.99, but let me have it for $13.99 when I showed them PetsMart's on line price.

I have put together a complete 90 gal doing this and saved a lot of $$$.

If you have a "trading post" type newspaper in your town, you can usually find complete systems cheap. When people need to unload an aquarium, they will do it at an extremely reduced price because they are tired of fooling with it.

Dave

Best "bang for buck": wait and find a used 55+ gallon tank w/ some extra accessories, then peice together what you don't have. I would start out low light, and maybe when you have more $$ to invest get CF lights and hpCO2.

You have to build it yourself is the answer to all those questions. I'm not talking about anything fancy but the basics are easy to do. Go look at a dive shop for your tank. People who sell for aquariums inevitably overcharge. better yet find used with an updated hydrostatic test This should be about $50. Reliably you can find one for sale at a welding supply store, just make sure you are getting the right pressure requirements for CO2. For a regulator you want an adjustable w/ a pressure gauge. you can build this yourself but its easier to buy it. think about $35 for a used one or about $50 for a really basic new one. $15 dollars for hoses and a diffuser more if you want somekind of ladder (I built my own for $5). Lights are easy, ballasts, starters and sockets from a scrap yard. Small plywood box built from scraps. Look in the dumpster at a place like lowes or home depot for the wood. Cord salvaged from dead appliance. bulbs you pretty much have to buy from an aquarium shop the good news is walmart has NO bulbs in the 9000K range for about 5 bucks each. Go to salvage places to find alot of this stuff you will pay a fraction of what you would pay new. You have to put a peice of glass or high temp acrylic between it and the tanks so buy a glass cover or put a small peice on the front once again salvaged. Reflector is the hardest part I used a scrap of mirror from another project but you can get a regular light fixture reflector for about 2 bucks at a salvage yard.

I found a used 180 gallon with stand lighting,heater and filters(fluval something).They are selling it for $350.Do you guys think it is a good deal?

Yea sounds like a good deal, but. . . . . .

-You may need to upgrade the lighting. Do you know what comes with it?
-You still need to buy substrate (sand is cheap :)
-You still need to buy fish
-You need plants
-You might want CO2 system

If you think this fits in your budget and you have space for 180 gallons, BUY IT and I will be sooooo jealous ;0
GL

Right away I would say it's a great deal! But...

How much wpg does the light have though? Is the filter big enough they had? etc. :wink:

Remember, you'll need a LOT of gravel, plants (if you want it planted), more ferilizer, more CO2 etc.

Is the tank still set up.. if not, ask them to fill it with water to check for leaks before you buy it.
What filters come with it?
And as others have asked, what lights come with it?

dave

Never mind the 180 gallon,I figured it would take too much room in our tiny house and if I bought everything...it would cost more that $500 dollars.So I will just buy the 55 gallon Tank Kit at Wal-Mart.Does anyone have any info on what it comes with?The cost of the tank ans the stant would be around $170 plus tax.

Ok,here is the plan:
Tank(55 gallons):$150
Stand:$120
Lighting:Unknown

My substrate was originally going to be flourite but it is expensive.Are there any other good alternatives to using flourite and eco-complete.

I did some research last night and got this:eek:n the bottom 1 in. of sand,next 1/2 in of nutrient rich substrate,and to top it off 2 1/2 of regular gravel.Do you think this is a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom