What kind of snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaysE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any ideas? The flesh is a very bright transluscent cream color, almost white.

Attachments

• dsc03367_196.jpg
    dsc03367_196.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 21
  • dsc03367_196.jpg
    dsc03367_196.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
  • dsc03349_389.jpg
    dsc03349_389.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 18
  • dsc03349_389.jpg
    dsc03349_389.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 19
Yes, it's a cute lil' physa snail; they don't eat plants, get big, or do anything evil. They do reproduce like mad, though-look for jelly-like globs of eggs about the size of a peanut.

Definately try and remove as many as possible! They reproduce like mad. You will soon be overrun with them.

As long as you aren't overfeeding, these snails shouldn't reproduce like mad. If you find that you're getting a large population rapidly, cut back on feeding. To remove existing snails you can put a lettuce leaf in the tank overnight and remove it in the morning covered with snails.

The only time I had pond snails explode is when I was overfeeding. I'd pull 300-400 out of my HOB every week. But since I only feed sparingly, I still have them, but when I pull my filter pad out, it's only got maybe a dozen at the very most on it. You can keep control of the number of snails by watching your feeding habits.

I plucked out two that were on top of each other (just in time! LOL) and one small one. I'm sure there are one or two more in there, though. We'll see what happens.

And Mystery Snails are the ones with dark brown spots on the shell?

Back
Top Bottom