What kind of snails do i have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I got a handful of snails for free at the local fish store, THey have long cone shaped spiral shells, the biggest ones are about an inch, and the tiny ones are.. well, tiny. I dropped them in last week and they all dissapeard into the gravel. I see some of the big ones on top sometimes.

Anyway, not sure if they are just pond snails or Malaysian Trumpet snails if you could post some pics of the different kinds, or send links, maybe i can figure out what they are.

yep MTS, good little guys to keep you substrate churned.

I need to buy some for my sand bottom tank.

I forgot to post a pic of a pond snail for comparison. Here is a pic of my hitchhikers. I have others that are darker/brown but this just happened to be what is on the computer right now. HTH.

oh definitely MTS then, the shell doesn't look anything like the pond snail.. Yeah i know they are good for the substrate, im glad they are MTS and not pond snails, also, they shells ahve really pretty purple/pink colosr on them .

By the picture krap101 is right its a pondsnail.

MTS shells look like an ice cream cone

Yeah they gave them to you free because they are a pest. I had a bunch come with some live plants.

3 clown loaches=problem solved

only a pest to some people... i head they are great for the substrate, and if you don't overfeed, the population won't get out of control. ALso, MTS aren't as bad as pond snails from what i hear, and these are definily MTS, and not Pond snails.

Also, i do have a clown loach, but i saw him eat the small ones but he's too small to eat the bigger ones.

Back
Top Bottom