What kind of tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
agrainger said:
actually, if you get a new tank in the future you can just seed it from your existing tank.

Old filter, substrate and water? Or just water from the existing tank?

Jason7894561230 said:
Ok thats good that its a 125g beause the BGKF can get pretty big about 30cm

They also need a lot of hiding places and are sensitive to light. Thanks for the info Jason :)

Old filter, substrate and water? Or just water from the existing tank?

There are a lot of options. Water is ok but won't do much in the long run, IME. A bag of substrate from your established tank is better and filter material is even better yet. You can throw some extra filter material in your tank or purchase your new filter ahead of time and run it on your current tank for a while before setting up your new tank so that some good bacteria can grow in your new filter material.

I ran a small backup filter (15 gal) on my 37 gal tank for quite a while that way if I ever need to set up a little QT/hospital tank, I can immedately cycle it by sticking that cycled filter on it. I recently bought two new 20 gals and cycled them each (one after another) in a week or less just by running that 15 gal filter in tandem with the new filters I bought for them.

There are a lot of options. Water is ok but won't do much in the long run, IME. A bag of substrate from your established tank is better and filter material is even better yet. You can throw some extra filter material in your tank or purchase your new filter ahead of time and run it on your current tank for a while before setting up your new tank so that some good bacteria can grow in your new filter material.

+1
i would run the filter for your new tank on your established tank for 2 weeks or more. or if you have a large sponge in your established tank take it out and squeeze all the nasty looking junk into your new tank. water is a waste. substrate in a bag is ok.

don't take the old filter from your tank. you would be removing half or more of the bacteria in that tank and possibly causing a problem with it.

Coleallensmom said:

I ran a small backup filter (15 gal) on my 37 gal tank for quite a while that way if I ever need to set up a little QT/hospital tank, I can immedately cycle it by sticking that cycled filter on it. I recently bought two new 20 gals and cycled them each (one after another) in a week or less just by running that 15 gal filter in tandem with the new filters I bought for them.

That a great idea. I just bought a new filter for a 55g that I'm buying next month and I will let it run on my 125g. I never thought of that. I bought the same kind filter that I have now in my 125. Can I use the old filter and put in the filter for the 55g? It will also help my 125g until I get the new tank. :)

+1
i would run the filter for your new tank on your established tank for 2 weeks or more. or if you have a large sponge in your established tank take it out and squeeze all the nasty looking junk into your new tank. water is a waste. substrate in a bag is ok.

don't take the old filter from your tank. you would be removing half or more of the bacteria in that tank and possibly causing a problem with it.

IMO, When you add an extra filter to an established tank, you are not going magically double the bacteria in your tank. The bacteria in your tank will just split itself between the two filters. Anytime you make any changes to filter material on a tank, you should always monitor water parameters for a few days to make sure you don't cause a mini cycle.

Coleallensmom said:
IMO, When you add an extra filter to an established tank, you are not going magically double the bacteria in your tank. The bacteria in your tank will just split itself between the two filters. Anytime you make any changes to filter material on a tank, you should always monitor water parameters for a few days to make sure you don't cause a mini cycle.

That makes sense. The amount of essential bacteria depends on the amount of waste being produced? So, if you add another filter and still have the same load, it'll be the same amount of good bacteria but divided between filters. That's good to know. Thanks!

agrainger said:
+1

What's in the nasty looking junk? Good bacteria?

That a great idea. I just bought a new filter for a 55g that I'm buying next month and I will let it run on my 125g. I never thought of that. I bought the same kind filter that I have now in my 125. Can I use the old filter and put in the filter for the 55g? It will also help my 125g until I get the new tank. :)

You can certainly run them tandem for a while. It's not going to hurt your fish having the 2nd filter on there. However, since you're still cycling..I would wait to take the new filter off until your tank is finished cycling and showing consistant 0ppm readings of ammonia/nitrites. If you take it off while still cycling, it could mess with your progress since you'll be removing some bacteria when you remove the filter...Just my opinion though. When I took the 15 gal backup filter off of my 37 gal, I monitored the tank and it had no water quality problems afterwards but it stands to reason that an established tank will bounce back much quicker then one still cycling.

that makes sense. The amount of essential bacteria depends on the amount of waste being produced? So, if you add another filter and still have the same load, it'll be the same amount of good bacteria but divided between filters. That's good to know. Thanks!

Exactly! :)

Coleallensmom said:
You can certainly run them tandem for a while. It's not going to hurt your fish having the 2nd filter on there. However, since you're still cycling..I would wait to take the new filter off until your tank is finished cycling and showing consistant 0ppm readings of ammonia/nitrites. If you take it off while still cycling, it could mess with your progress since you'll be removing some bacteria when you remove the filter...Just my opinion though. When I took the 15 gal backup filter off of my 37 gal, I monitored the tank and it had no water quality problems afterwards but it stands to reason that an established tank will bounce back much quicker then one still cycling.

Ok. I will wait for my tank to cycle first. Jw.. If I add the other filter now without waiting for the tank to cycle and take it out when it is cycled, do you think the tank needs to cycle again? Just like what you said that you're taking out some of the good bacteria.

Ok. I will wait for my tank to cycle first. Jw.. If I add the other filter now without waiting for the tank to cycle and take it out when it is cycled, do you think the tank needs to cycle again? Just like what you said that you're taking out some of the good bacteria.

I'm sure there are some here who have a WHOLE lot more experience on the subject than I do and can chime in with their opinions, but I would venture to say that it wouldn't hurt to err on the side of caution and wait. However, no matter when you add the new filter...when you take it away, you'll be removing bacteria. Always monitor a tank after you make changes to it's filter media or substrate because it can affect the amount of bacteria in your tank.

i agree to monitor both tanks to be safe, but removing a filter that has only been in the tank for 2 weeks should not significantly reduce the bacteria in the original filter(provided the 2nd filter was put in the tank after it was completely cycled and stable) if you cycle a tank with 2 filters and remove one. you will remove about half the bacteria and possibly cause a problem

Coleallensmom said:
I'm sure there are some here who have a WHOLE lot more experience on the subject than I do and can chime in with their opinions, but I would venture to say that it wouldn't hurt to err on the side of caution and wait. However, no matter when you add the new filter...when you take it away, you'll be removing bacteria. Always monitor a tank after you make changes to it's filter media or substrate because it can affect the amount of bacteria in your tank.

Thanks Alisha :)

agrainger said:
i agree to monitor both tanks to be safe, but removing a filter that has only been in the tank for 2 weeks should not significantly reduce the bacteria in the original filter(provided the 2nd filter was put in the tank after it was completely cycled and stable) if you cycle a tank with 2 filters and remove one. you will remove about half the bacteria and possibly cause a problem

So, running it for 2 weeks after it cycled won't really hurt the existing tank. I'll wait for the tank to cycle. Thanks

i would definatly monitor both tanks after removing the filter. but it should be fine. i use an extra sponge filter in my tank to instantly start another tank.

just remember, everything you hear here is someones opinion. don't take what anyone, including me says as what to do. i can only suggest based on my experience and reading. do your research and keep track of your water after any change to the system.

agrainger said:
just remember, everything you hear here is someones opinion. don't take what anyone, including me says as what to do. i can only suggest based on my experience and reading. do your research and keep track of your water after any change to the system.

It maybe just their opinion, but it's an experienced opinion. From people who have years and years of aquarium experience and who did a lot of research and learned hands on. I will listen to most of their opinions mostly the trusted and the ones who are really great on giving advices. I'll tAke that any day than rely on my experience. I am also doing research. Almost everyday since I set up my tank. Thank you very much.

I loved my BGK!!! He grew from 4 to 8 inches in about 6 months, and I had him eating out of my hand, and he would zip around all day, no matter how much light there was. :) His favorite place was actually using this plant I have as a "chair." He would lay in it upside down LOL, I will see if I can find the pic.
I am SOOOO glad to hear you have him in a 125G tank!!! That's awesome. I started out with the BGK and a 10 gallon tank....No fishless cycle either. :( I did ALOT of water changes for about 4 weeks.

Here's a link to my BGK photo album. :D
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/25829-albums1028.html

Back
Top Bottom