what kind of worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sure it was not moving because of the water movement? looks like a root to me. try to pick it. or poke it with you net to see if it really is a worm or root.

I tried to squish it and it shrank itself. there were two big ones like that and while I was starting this thread one got away. I even looked closer to find out that there are more of them! Smaller though, but still!

Definitely a worm! On second pic you can definitely see the "fat midsection" of it. Looks like some kind of a parasite (seen one that uses humans and mammals as hosts that looks similarly to this one. Would be nice to get it under microscope and take look at it's head and rear. Hope the fish you keep in that tank are ok:)

Definitely a worm! On second pic you can definitely see the "fat midsection" of it. Looks like some kind of a parasite (seen one that uses humans and mammals as hosts that looks similarly to this one. Would be nice to get it under microscope and take look at it's head and rear. Hope the fish you keep in that tank are ok:)

WTF! No way!

Does anyone know how to kill them? I even feed my fish about every 3 to 4 day because I thought it was planaria

wow, curious to how these even got in your tank lol.

Don't panick, we don't know what they are yet. Try to catch one and bring in ziplock with some tankwater to your vet, he will know exactly what this it is of LFS (if you have one with people who know anything about zoology. It may very well be a zoonotic parasite, or benign little warm who traveled into your tank with a plant or something.

I've seen something like this in my planted tank. Lots of them. crawling through the gravel amongst the occasional seed shrimp and planaria. was thinking they are nematodes but what I'm seeing appears to be segmented (like earthworms) but these are small and whitish/tan colored. I have no bottom dwellers in the tank that might feast on them. Occasionally one or two gets stirred up into the water column while doing maintenance and the fish usually eat them as the are frantically swimming to find cover. I'm am not too concerned about them.

Really? Let's hope that's it. Still.though Im hoping my gbr would lay eggs in this tank and with those worms it's gonna be a problem.

Don't panick, we don't know what they are yet. Try to catch one and bring in ziplock with some tankwater to your vet, he will know exactly what this it is of LFS (if you have one with people who know anything about zoology. It may very well be a zoonotic parasite, or benign little warm who traveled into your tank with a plant or something.

Finding a big one like in the picture will be hard. All I see are really small ones. Actually, in one of the pictures you can see other small worms if you look close. When I tried to squish the first on it shrank and squirmed. I'll see if another one pops out though

I think I killed them... I treated my tank with mardel and now i cat finger any of them. Not even the micro ones!

I think I killed them... I treated my tank with mardel and now i cat finger any of them. Not even the micro ones!

Good to hear. I am starting to see a few planaria show up. If I am only seeing a few I'm sure there are a lot more lurking in the gravel.
image-1500195505.jpg
Anyone know if these pose a threat (to shrimp, fry, etc)?

Back
Top Bottom