What kind of worm is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokilow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I recently changed my substrate for some that would be decent for plants-Carib Sea Eco Completehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DH0QM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it has these little worms in it. After research it seems they are one of two type of worms, Detritus worms or Planaria (dont think they are this).
Ac8iuo2.jpg

Theres two in the picture, one in the middle and one on the left in the water line.

Every thing I have read states they eat uneaten food. I dont over feed but being that I have a planted tank they will always have food. Ive seen a few swimming freely without being disturbed by a water change and my fish eat them. This leads me to believe they are growing pretty well under they substrate. I have also not seen any of these larger than this one, this was about a 1/2 to 1/4".

Is this one of the harmless worms that I can not worry about, or do you think I need to nuke the tank?

They look to be detritus worms. They are not harmful handsome fish will snack on them. If I remember correctly their presence shows an issue with the cleanliness of the tank. I may be thinking of planaria though so a bit of research would help.

Back
Top Bottom