What kinda fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ny one know what kind of fish these guys are ? I have two of the tiny ones I believe they are some sort of tetra , two of the black colored one , and two of the pink colored one. The two pink guys have the same body shape as the black colored guys , any thoughts ?

Attachments

• image-3884381514.jpg
    image-3884381514.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 199
  • image-396214809.jpg
    image-396214809.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 171
They almost look like ember tetras, but I can't tell for sure..

(ember tetras)
Hyphessobrycon_amandae1.jpg

the black ones are very hard to tell from the pictures.. could they be black skirt tetras?
blackskirttetra.jpg

I can't see the first photo.

The black one is a black skirt tetra.

What size tank is this? Black skirts can get really big and, as with all tetras, you need a larger school.

The second ones look like black skirt tetras. And you said you have two the same but pink/white. They are white skirt tetras. They are the same fish but different colors. Tetras really need schools of 6+ of there own kind. So you need two more skirts and 4 more of the other kind. How big is your tank? Skirt tetras get huge! I have 8 in my 70g and they can get very nippy if kept in too small schools.

miles said:
They almost look like ember tetras, but I can't tell for sure..

(ember tetras)

the black ones are very hard to tell from the pictures.. could they be black skirt tetras?

You are right they are ember tetras and black skirt tetras ! Thanks !

Mumma.of.two said:
The second ones look like black skirt tetras. And you said you have two the same but pink/white. They are white skirt tetras. They are the same fish but different colors. Tetras really need schools of 6+ of there own kind. So you need two more skirts and 4 more of the other kind. How big is your tank? Skirt tetras get huge! I have 8 in my 70g and they can get very nippy if kept in too small schools.

They are in my ten gallon tank ! Man am I learning alot from you Guys !

LyndaB said:
Is this in your 10 gallon or your 29?

This is in my ten gallon I just started the pure ammonia in my 29 gallon tank today , I will eventually have these guys In my 29 gallon tank !

Mikey214 said:
This is in my ten gallon I just started the pure ammonia in my 29 gallon tank today , I will eventually have these guys In my 29 gallon tank !

The sooner you move them to the 29 the better. The blackskirts won't do well in the 10. The embers are perfect for the 10 though.

Mumma.of.two said:
The sooner you move them to the 29 the better. The blackskirts won't do well in the 10. The embers are perfect for the 10 though.

I have to complete the cycling of the 29 gallon first

Mumma.of.two said:
Average is 6 weeks. Could be less if you add seeded media from your cycled 10.

That's a while . . . :thinking: how much gravel could I add from my 10 to my 29 ? And should I put it in a mesh bag and hang it next to the filter ?

Mikey214 said:
That's a while . . . :thinking: how much gravel could I add from my 10 to my 29 ? And should I put it in a mesh bag and hang it next to the filter ?

You can put some next to the intake for the filter in a mesh bag and some in the filter to help seed. Or you can run the filters together on the 10 or the 29 and seed it that way. Of course you would have to have the fish in the tank with both filters.

Mumma.of.two said:
You can put some next to the intake for the filter in a mesh bag and some in the filter to help seed. Or you can run the filters together on the 10 or the 29 and seed it that way. Of course you would have to have the fish in the tank with both filters.

Can I do that even though my numbers for the 10 gallon tank are all screwed up ? And I added pure ammonia to the 29 gallon in the morning

Mikey214 said:
Can I do that even though my numbers for the 10 gallon tank are all screwed up ? And I added pure ammonia to the 29 gallon in the morning

So the ten was cycled and since you added the fish your getting ammonia again??? That is a mini cycle from adding fish too fast. You will need to check your params daily and do PWC if needed until ammonia and nitrite are 0 again.

This is what I would do if I was in your situation. Someone else might have a different opinion.
Do a 100% PWC on the 29 to remove ALL the ammonia.
Move all the fish, decor, some gravel (as much as you can get in a media bag) and the filter from the 10 to the 29.
Run both filters on the 29.
Check the levels on the 29 daily and do PWC if needed (amm or trite over 0.25ppm).
Once the mini cycle is over, wait two weeks (enough time to seed the 29s filter) before moving the 10g filter, the ember tetras and the gravel/decor back to the 10.
Check params often to make sure both tanks aren't mini cycling again. Do PWC as needed.
Stock both tanks slowly once params ate stable.
The reason I suggested this is because it is easier to keep the water parameters stable in the 29 than the 10 during a cycle.

Mumma.of.two said:
So the ten was cycled and since you added the fish your getting ammonia again??? That is a mini cycle from adding fish too fast. You will need to check your params daily and do PWC if needed until ammonia and nitrite are 0 again.

This is what I would do if I was in your situation. Someone else might have a different opinion.
Do a 100% PWC on the 29 to remove ALL the ammonia.
Move all the fish, decor, some gravel (as much as you can get in a media bag) and the filter from the 10 to the 29.
Run both filters on the 29.
Check the levels on the 29 daily and do PWC if needed (amm or trite over 0.25ppm).
Once the mini cycle is over, wait two weeks (enough time to seed the 29s filter) before moving the 10g filter, the ember tetras and the gravel/decor back to the 10.
Check params often to make sure both tanks aren't mini cycling again. Do PWC as needed.
Stock both tanks slowly once params ate stable.
The reason I suggested this is because it is easier to keep the water parameters stable in the 29 than the 10 during a cycle.

No there is no ammonia in the ten gallon , I put ammonia in the 29 gallon to start my fish less cycle . . .

Back
Top Bottom