What live foods do you grow yourself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had one snail in my little fry raising tank, who soon rreproduced, and now I have about one hundred tiny clones sliming away in that tank.
I thought I'd restock my 28.5 gal with snails, since I had only seen one huge snail in there, but no small ones (except for mts).
So I dropped a few in and, my keyhole cichlids immediatly jumped them, and sucked their little houses empty.

Good to know, now I feed my keyholes 2-3 snails per day as live food, and they seem to love it. These snails are fed on tiny pieces of fish flake and spirulina. So I bet their juicy and yummy :p .

Anyone do the same thing? or other critters you keep to feed your fish?

I collect mosquito larvae from my rain barrels & pond in the summer & even freeze them up if I have extra for the winter. My tiger barbs & rasboras love them.

If you live in a mosquitoey (sp? - word?) area you can just set out a shallow basin of water in a shady cool area & collect the larvae when they get to the right size. You don't want to let them go too long though because then all you have is a bunch of blood suckers.

Oh my fish also seem to relish the occasional moth that is attracted to the aquarium lights (I have an open top arrangement - aquarium not all the way filled).

I think plenty of folks hatch brine shrimp but thats not really breeding.

Some folks use earthworms that may be from worm compost contianers.

I did see a recent post about someone who raised guppies to feed I think a night gobie (it was a freshwater post). I believe it was under the title guppies not breeding.

Did you have something specific in mind??

I got snails in a tank once with plants and crushed them for angel fish. They loved it. I have tried to hatch brine shrimp...... to not much success... limited buget and experience at the time.

Wow, do you have some sort of tutorials or something on how to maintain those Toirtis?

speaking of mosquito's anyone been to southern alaska during summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im gonna grow brine shrimp, i use nightcrawlers, and one or two convict fry here and there for my oscars.

mattrox said:
I got snails in a tank once with plants and crushed them for angel fish. They loved it. I have tried to hatch brine shrimp...... to not much success... limited buget and experience at the time.

Could you elaborate on crushing them?

Back
Top Bottom