Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #1181
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I liked the colors that were on the fish so I begged my parents for one and now I'm breeding guppies

Old 12-17-2016, 04:55 AM   #1182
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Snorkelling, to put a long story short

Old 12-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #1183
Aquarium Advice Regular

Comfort level and expense. Also size. I can have a 56 gallon tank, which is more than adequate for a planted freshwater tank but on the small size for a marine tank. I do hope to have a marine tank at some point. We plan on relocating in five to seven years, so possibly then. I can make sure the next place has a good spot for a 75 to 125 gallon tank.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #1184
Lev
Aquarium Advice Activist

My partner is OBSESSED with fish and fishing and has always wanted an aquarium.

I did months of research in order to surprise him with a cycled tank with fish in when he got back from holiday at christmas - anyway long story short, I ended up obtaining a 350L tank which was too heavy fro me to install by myself -surprise spoiled.

I am doing most of the fish care and find it all extremely interesting - and all our fish are named because I'm a child at heart. he mostly enjoys and does any heavy lifting (bucket water changes for us unfortunately)

We now have a 20L and 40L going through fishless cycle which I talked him into
Old 01-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #1185
Aquarium Advice Newbie

When I was a kid my dad always had aquariums. Naturally I took interest and that interest led to a needy obsession where all I wanted to read about was fish and aquariums. I had two ten gallons in my room when I was ten. I've had multiple fish tanks in between. My dad had a 75 gallon salt water reef aquarium and a 29 gallon (?) Nano cube that was also a reef aquarium. When we moved the fish didn't survive so he did fresh water in the 75 G. The 75 gallon he had is the one I have now as nd I decided to try cichlids in it.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #1186
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I ended up into fish...actually I think it started about 15yrs back when I was like 7 or something. I remember stories of our first fish from when my brother and I were like 3 or something but I don't remember her much beyond her name being Sunshine and her being a bright orange goldfish. My first true experience with fish was when I was 7 and my family had a 30-ish gallon tank we kept in the living room. I don't remember much about it other than it being stocked with dwarf gouramis my brother and I picked for their bright colours. Loved gouramis ever since though.

Anyways, ended up fishless for a couple years then got back into it when my family 'inherited' a 25 gallon cube tank from a friend of ours when they had to move to the States. My brother ended up with it, but since we shared a room I kind of stole it from him. Kept community fish in that for the most part; mostly had tetras back then with a couple of more unique fish (black ghost knife, bala, that sort of thing) and a plecostomus, Goliath, who is the only fish I can remember having a name for. Almost all of the fish came from our friends, but I kind of wince when I remember it now since I know what those kind of fish really need now. I wish I had known better, but I was a youngin then and not the internet savvy person I am now.

When my brother eventually gave up his ultra-aggressive uromastix, he asked if we could swap tanks (50 gallon long for the 25 cube) I agreed to it. My family cleaned that out, cycled it with fish, and kept community fish in there for a while with a couple of African Dwarf Frogs. Despite having kept multiple pairs of livebearers never did end up with fry though, at least none that I noticed.

Eventually tried out african cichlids after a little bit, kept Goliath with them who had by that point grown to be a foot long monster. Had to take him to the LFS because he was outgrowing the tank. Then came high school and I had to spend more time studying than doing my hobby so I gave it all away.

Now, eight years later I get a Betta fish in a cube gallon tank for Christmas and I am back into the hobby. I asked why and my dad, who got me the betta for Christmas, said that he was trying to think of what to get me since I am 'hard to buy for' as he was driving downtown and ended passing by the fish store. Instantly thought of me when he did so. I guess taking to the scuba diving lessons we took together like a fish takes to water didn't really help disassociate me from my fish-keeping past.

My birthday is less than a month away, and I am really hoping for a couple of LFS cards to spend on a bigger tank for my betta and figuring out how to keep using the gallon cube. Curse you Multiple Tank Syndrome!!

Currently Own: 1 gallon Betta Cube
Hoping to get a larger tank for the Betta in the next month, come on Birthday presents!!
AnimalKrazed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freshwater, freshwater aquarium, inspired, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com