Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #1201
Aquarium Advice Regular

For me it is simple , I love watching fish ... I dont care what kind . I am a Master Diver Trainer so why not have what I love at home as well , salt or fresh matters not . They are relaxing and peaceful , enjoyable to interact with .

Old 06-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #1202
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170629_124712.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	300931 I had goldfish, they were to boring and plain, then I noticed some Harlequin rasbora in the shop about 5 years ago and wanted them, so I went out and got all the things I needed and I made this and love everything about it, it's trying to make something beautiful and peaceful I love

Old 07-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #1203
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just love the idea of having a fully functioning ecosystem living in my home and I love trying to maximize the functionality and ecological food webs within a planted tank!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #1204
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I totally respect the skills and knowledge of those who practice on the salty side of our hobby.
The cost of the required equipment, skimmer, UV sterilizer, canister filters, sump and the back
Up power generator would be quite a financial undertaking. Around here 5 gallons of pre
Mixed sea water sells for $15.
All my tanks are fresh water. I change 30 gal. A week in my display tank. That probably cost me a nickel towards my monthly water bill. The expense really isn't the reason for my fresh water preference.
I had a small 58 gal. Salt water tank back in the 80's. That was the early days of home salt tanks. The equipment then was not nearly as advanced, live rock and coral were not common place. I found that the fish selection was relatively small. The stocking level of a salt tank is very low compared to fresh. It was very difficult for me to keep the tank clean; salt build up on the top and outsides of the tank. Mixing sea salt was a major pain. After a few years of that, I donated my sea fish to the zoo.
I've had friends with spectacular home reef tanks, no expense spared. The tanks were awesome, but one can also aquascape a freshwater tank and acquire colorful, interesting fish that can match or even surpass the reefs without the enormous expense and related hassels.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 AM   #1205
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I remember my cousin had a aquarium and it was always relaxing watching them so I decided to get one myself.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #1206

So many reasons really but mainly my proximity to a spring water source. I don't add anything to it it's glorious. If I had to whip up a batch of sea water every time I had to do a water change I wouldn't be able to do them as frequently. If all I had access to was tap water I'd just to saltwater tanks and maybe a tangynikan tank cuz I'm already making soup anyway so might as well go all out.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #1207
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seeing generations of Guppies living side by side.
BettaPonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #1208
Aquarium Advice Regular

Watching Guppies breed in a middle school tank.
BettaPonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #1209
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, first, i had a pet crab. When i went to my LPS to buy food for the crab, I saw some fish. I started having interest on fish, so then, i got a betta in a 2 gallon tank. A few days later, i decided on having 2 frogs, 3 ghost shrimp, and other pets. Then, I got a 10 Gallon Tank and got a few nerite snails.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #1210
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My dad fixed a friends Air Conditioner one weekend in Las Vegas, and when he came home a few days later he had what I imagine was 40gallon fishtank that he'd received as payment. Fish included. All I remember was a pleco "Blackrock," a Chinese algae Eater "Flipper," and a mated pair of convict cichlids "Ma and Pa." I watched them nest in the corner of the tank and raise their fry. It was fascinating.

Tags
freshwater, freshwater aquarium, inspired, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com