Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #1211
Aquarium Advice Regular

My son won a goldfish at a carnival and it came with a small packet of food and a bowl. Needless to say it flopped out of the bowl in the middle of night. Shortly after I did some quick research and bought a tall 29 gallon complete setup at the local wally world got it set up and cycling water while I waited for my plants arrive from Amazon.com. In the meantime did a little more research on community tanks and water nitrate, nitrites, ammonia and all that. One week after adding the plants and 2 weeks after cycling the water we added all of our fish at once all from the same pet store. We had 3 fatalities in the first 4 days, replaced them all and everything is stable and so far so good! Fingers crossed! We have 6 platies (1 red wag, 3 sunburst, 2 green lantern), 5 zebra danios, 5 neon tetras, and 1 black molly. I love doing this and watching the fish with their little personalities and am already mentally preparing my next tank!

Old 08-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #1212
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It started with my son wanting fish a couple of years ago. So we tried Beta fish,one in a five gallon,one in the vase peace Lilly set up. They both died after two months. We then moved onto gold fish in the five gallon( I know,too small of a space) they died. Finally I got smart and bought a ten gallon tank and have been a fairly successful fish keeper. I want to move to a twenty gallon, Before my tank gets too crowded. I have two sword tail one Molly,one Cory cat and around eight baby swordtails, they're two weeks old so very small, right now, but I know they will get bigger.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #1213
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy fm View Post
I have two sword tail one Molly,one Cory cat and around eight baby swordtails, they're two weeks old so very small, right now, but I know they will get bigger.
The Cory will do much better with some friends as they're a schooling fish, however, you'd really need to get a bigger tank to make that happen.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #1214
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Current residents

What made me want a freshwater tank? The current residents. Who really needs salt water?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170814_100447.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	302854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_075318.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	302855  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170612_082843.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	302856  
Old 08-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah0504 View Post
The Cory will do much better with some friends as they're a schooling fish, however, you'd really need to get a bigger tank to make that happen.

I found that out after I got the Cory, I then bought a Panda Cory to be his buddy, but this one was very shy and did not do well. It died about a month ago,no apparent illness, I think It just gave up. The Original Cory is fat and sassy and I plan on looking for a couple more once I get a larger tank. I know six is the preferred number, but I figure three is better than one.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #1216

Well, a friend of mine got me a betta named Antoine for Christmas in 2010. He was in a nice 2 gallon bowl, but he died because I had no idea how to take care of him. Then I got a 2.5 gallon with a new betta named Lucifer. Then I won a goldfish at the fair in 2011. I was going to get a 29 and put him in there, but he died the day I got the 29 gallon so I put platies and mollies in it, never knowing what the nitrogen cycle was. They all survived though until I did a huge WC and killed everything. Then I got a 10 gallon, and a 20 gallon long. The 10 I am cycling and the 20 gallon long will be started after Christmas
Old 09-24-2017, 01:20 AM   #1217

I have loved studying the ocean as far back as I can remember. I would have loved to have a salt water tank, but it is such a time and money commitment that I haven't the resources to do that yet. Maybe someday.

But I started out with freshwater tanks when I was probably 8-9, my mom bought me a tank. I don't know how big it was, probably a 10-20 gallon. I had the typical "easy" freshwater fish, neon tetras, a molly, maybe a platt, some kind of smaller pleco, and tons of guppies. We started with like 3, but the pet store didn't tell us how quickly they multiply. I was little, and I was pretty much in charge of feeding them, with my mom doing everything regarding to actually keeping them alive. I had so much fun with that tank, even though looking back it became grossly overstocked with several generations of guppies (I haven't owned on since). Then my little brother, who was probably 6, wanted to help when I wasn't home and dumped about half a can of flakes in the tank, pretty much instantly killing all inhabitants.

I then took a break until now, my mom bought me a tank last Christmas that I again have set up, the differences being that I take care of water changes and everything. And then a few months ago I started researching lesser known freshwater aquarium fish, and I came across the Dwarf puffer fish and fell in love. So I went I found out a store sells them relatively close by, I decided to get a mini tank going with one of them. After the tank was done cycling I brought him home, and I'm so happy with my two tanks. And since it's been more than 10 years, I even let my brother feed the community tank... once... and only wafers when I was gone...

Not to say that they are easy, but if you take into account how much time and effort some pets and salt water tanks are, the relative ease that freshwater tanks can be and that they can be so calming and relaxing are what made me want one (or two).

Tags
freshwater, freshwater aquarium, inspired, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com