Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #1231
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great story, one similar to a lot of us. Nice setup.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #1232
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaButler View Post
I grew up with a 20 Gallon aquarium in the kitchen. I vividly remember my father cleaning the fish tank. I always thought the water smelled badly.

As I grew into adulthood I ended up with one of those peace lilys, with the Betta fish in the bottom. That led to a 20 Gallon with 3 FancyTail Goldfish. I had that tank and those fish for a long time. I then advanced to a 30 Gallon, which was very short lived, and then into a 55 Gallon. I have had my 55 Gallon for 3 years. I am now currently in the process of setting up a 75 G.
Like Krista my parents had a fish tank in the kitchen. I, too, vividly remember my dad washing and cleaning the tank and driving the 20-ish mins it took to get to the spring for water for the tank. I also remember the pans sitting outside when it rained and he collected it there. I think it was a 10 gallon (tho i'm really not sure at all...) with goldfish in it. One was a black moor, his name was Popeye, he was my favorite. Had him so long he slowly faded from black to gold! When dad got tired of cleaning and taking care of it, I remember driving back to the place we got the water and letting the goldies go in that tank. It's hard to explain, but it wasn't a water way type thing, just a huge huge concrete tank, with a spring attached to it and a lot of goldfish already in there!

Now I've got a 20 gal with guppies and a 55 with goldfish. I'm also in the process of setting up/cycling a 10 gallon for a grow out tank (and wishing I had a LFS to give the baby guppies to so they could be sold...)

Old 07-29-2018, 01:33 AM   #1233
Aquarium Advice Freak

I haven't started my tank yet, but I'd much prefer freshwater. I'd really like a paludarium, so the large amount of plant life I'm aiming for needs fresh. Even if I were just doing a planted aquarium, I prefer the freshwater plants such as frogbit and water lettuce.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #1234
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I don't know what initially made me want to have fish, but what made me want to start a freshwater tank specifically for a betta was to rescue them. I know that they would be easier to rescue because I can and have asked the staff at Petco for their sickest, most unwanted betta for free. So, I'll be starting one up again soon.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:10 PM   #1235
Aquarium Advice Freak

What a great thing to do, Allo! Petco and Petsmart always have such pitiful looking bettas. It's very disheartening knowing that even if they are bought, they will likely end up with people who are misinformed.

It's great knowing that even if you can't change the conditions that betta fish are continuously housed and sold in, at least you're saving numerous individuals who would otherwise languish.
JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #1236
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBinimbul View Post
What a great thing to do, Allo! Petco and Petsmart always have such pitiful looking bettas. It's very disheartening knowing that even if they are bought, they will likely end up with people who are misinformed.

It's great knowing that even if you can't change the conditions that betta fish are continuously housed and sold in, at least you're saving numerous individuals who would otherwise languish.
Ah thank you! : ) Glad that there's awareness for the despicable conditions the poor fish are kept in. And I agree, we can't save every fish but to save even a few is an honor.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #1237
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBinimbul View Post

I've got all of my bettas from there. Sometimes you come across some nice ones. I have all of mine in at least 5 gallons. I did the bowl thing before I am afraid but I try to do better now.

Tags
freshwater, freshwater aquarium, inspired, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com