Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2005, 11:54 PM   #211
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It started out with a pond in our back yard. My mom always wanted a pond so we dicided to build her one for mothers day. well we finished it and got some koi. The lfs peple said that we should get a tank for over wintering our fish(i live in Canada) so we looked in the pennysaver and found a 40gal tank every thing included for 75$ so we brought it home.

Then i said well i payed for the tank the kois arnt eavin mine, i should get to do what ever i want to with MY tank so i did. We were brand new and someone told us to wait 4 weeks befor we got any fish so i did this, it was so hard. My first fish was a Striped Raphial catfish an a school of neons. now the raphial is still in there along with the one tetra that survived untill now (he has new friends dont worry hes not all alown) now were geting a new 100gal tank for upstairs.
I have a mild case of MTS allready!!

Old 09-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #212
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since "highschool" I was always interested in biology, exspecially ecology. I think when your aquarium pretty much works for itself and you only have to do as little as possible to it to keep it steady, that's what fascinates me. If I would have to do all that work every day or second day to keep up with a saltwater tank - No thanks.

Saltwater tanks look really cool, but they are really expensive (I'm college student - biotechnology), a whole lot of work and catastrophic, when the power goes out .

I just wanna go and look at my fish and not work like hell for it. That's why I don't have a dog, that take smuch time .

Old 09-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #213
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to willowthepoet
I've always been fascinated by fish. When I was 14 I got my first betta, and have kept a couple since then.

Now I'm 19, and i've progressed to a 5gal with aquatic frogs (my babies), a 5gal with honey gouramis and some otos and cory cats, and just started a 10gal today with guppies as a way to experiment with breeding fish.

I'm currently saving up to get a larger (40+ gal) freshwater tank and hopefully breed small gouramis.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:50 AM   #214
dcp

Send a message via Yahoo to dcp
Hi all, i am newbie here, i love fishkeeping since i was a kid, i forgot what my first fish was, at here temperature is suitable for freshwater fish, those there is a lot of kind of tropical fish, every noon when i gets back from office, i always starring at my small tank, and now i have angelfish, molly, barb, turtle, betta, etc

End this week i will have others 20 discuss, and i will prepare another big size tank thus can content all my lovely fish

I hope i can learn alot from you all
Old 09-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #215
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to DiverDown Send a message via Yahoo to DiverDown
A friend gave me an Oscar, a pleco, and 2 white skirt tetras in a crappy little 1 gallon acrylic P.O.S. tank with no filter and an ugly plastic plant thing permantly attached to the bottom. I immediatly bought a 20 gallon tank with filter, heater, pump etc. . . and transferred them, just to save their lives. It worked, although the tetras eventually were sacrificed to the Oscar as he grew (originally about 3 inches, now about 8).

Meanwhile, I met the woman who would eventually become my wife. She had 2 oscars (10 and 12 inches each) in a 60 gallon tank. We have since sold them so they could be happier in better equiped aquaria, and the Oscar and pleco live happily in a 55 gal with a Jack Dempsey.

I always had goldfish as a kid, keeping one alive in a half gallon bowl for about 2 years, before knowing anything about water changes or that sort of thing. So when given these fish, it was pretty quick and easy for me to become obsessed, besides, I needed a new hobby.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #216
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why I am here.

My wife and I purchased a National Geographic 1.5 gallon tank (with a periscope) for my son's birthday. He was worried about the fish dying, so I assured him that I would learn how to keep them alive. In the process of studying I learned that the more I learn the less I know about this hobby. But I have become fascinated with it as well. Much to my wife's surprise, my son and I decided that the 1.5 was to small and purchased a 55 gallon with a stand. Two weeks later and she is still not quite over the shock. (It seems so much bigger in his room than we thought it was when we bought it. )We have no fish yet due to cycling the tank. This is our first tank and we are planning on yoyo loaches or zebra loaches, bosemani rainbows (male), pineapple swordtails, dalmatian molly, neons. We are still researching compatability. We are also trying to learn about personalities of fish. Some are much more interesting than others. I really can't wait to get the loaches.

Always open to fish suggestions from members.

"In this world you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. For thirty five years I was smart; I recommend pleasant." -Elwood P. Dowd
Old 09-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #217

My story starts when I was 10, my dad always kept Mollies in a hex tank but I wanted a fish that ate fish because that would be cool(sorry PETA). So i read and read and bought an oscar. A few years later my friends and I all have tanks and we know every fish store owner within 10 miles. I have gone from a 20gal to a 60gal to a 110gal and oscars are still my fish!
Old 09-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #218

They are just sooooooooo Cool 8)
6 Guppies

100g Planted
6 Discus
4 German Blue Ram's
6 Panda Cory's

72g
3 Red Bellied Pirhanas
Aquarium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #219

Also it is ver relaxing and and a pretty cheap hobby to have
6 Guppies

100g Planted
6 Discus
4 German Blue Ram's
6 Panda Cory's

72g
3 Red Bellied Pirhanas
Aquarium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:12 AM   #220

it can be cheap but also expensive if your not careful. i stated after trying to rescue my brothers last neon in a 20 gallon tank. i failed but now have a healthy school of 6. so relaxing and fun getting to know your fish

Tags
freshwater, freshwater aquarium, inspired, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com