What new fish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok this friday my finals are over at KU and i will be going back home for the summer ... and i will be able to devote much more time to my tank/s. Well on friday when i head back i wanted to get a fish at the LFS here in my college town cause it is much better than any i have back home (only about a 30min drive).

So i have a 29gal w/ driftwood and low light plants w/ 4 zebras danios 3 cory cats and 1 neon blue dwarf gourami ... i would like to get just one fish to add to this setup ..... here are my options i think a new pleco of some sort, a gold ram (can i do this and do i need a pair), add like 2 or 3 more cory cats of the same type (saw some smaller aeneus cory cats at the LFS the other day), and any other suggestions you guys have this LFS has a wide selection so just shoot away with what you think will be good in there.

Also i have a 10 gal setup now in my room with a nice piece of driftwood in it for cover and looks great. Well right now i just have that gold gourami in it and was wondering what fish i could add in there that would be good ... im also contemplating swaping the gold and dwarf gourami as i was informed that the gold will not be happy in the 10gal.

Let me know what you guys think
TIA

Ray

PS In case you were wondering all my fish are doing great and the battle of the Ich is now over and my fish are loving life and eating well and im going to start trying to feed peas and cucumber soon :)

I would switch the gouramis. A pair of rams would work nicely in that tank. You could probably add a small pleco or the cories with the rams, you are by no means heavly stocked.

You could add some cories cats and a group of small tetras to the 10 gallon if you wished.

How about move the gouramis .... add 2 gold rams and put a clown pleco in the 10gal? would that work?

edit: the gold 4" gourami would not bother the 2" gold rams? i just wanna make sure cause these rams are $9 at my LFS :) and dont wanna lose em if i go that route

Ray

Did the gold bother any of the other fish besides the other gourami? If not, I doubt she would bother the rams.

Viperboy said:
the gold 4" gourami would not bother the 2" gold rams?
I havent had any experience with my gourami and my rams in a 30 gallon.... and it is pretty heavily stocked.

No she didnt really bother any of the other fish but did scare the corys away from a shrimp pellet once ... thats the only other thing i noticed and she went away eventually and they got their share. I thought maybe them both being yellow might pose a problem or something but thats good news ..... anyone see a problem with putting a clown pleco in the 10gal with gordan aka neon blue dwarf gourami?
thanks guys

Ray

Viperboy said:
No she didnt really bother any of the other fish but did scare the corys away from a shrimp pellet once ... thats the only other thing i noticed and she went away eventually and they got their share. I thought maybe them both being yellow might pose a problem or something but thats good news ..... anyone see a problem with putting a clown pleco in the 10gal with gordan aka neon blue dwarf gourami?
thanks guys

Ray
That is normal. They basically attack all types of food. :lol:

The pleco should be fine, as long as there is driftwood in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom