what on earth did i just buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauritastlouis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a fish listed as a gold go by from my lfs. It has a face kinda like an albino Cory (with whiskers and all) and is about 4" long. Long eel-like body. His head and back are a pale yellow and the rest is white. Freshwater. The guy at the lfs said they Max out at 4" - 5". I looked it up when I got home to learn more about this guy (lifespan, confirm the Max size etc) and I couldnt find any info. I also can't find an image of any freshwater go by that even comes close. There were several fish that looked identical to him at the store so I can't imagine he's an unusual example but I'm clueless. I will try to take a pic of him tomorrow but the fishies have their nightlights on and I don't want to mess them up...:confused:

i think wolfs right. and the max is something around 12"

That's him and hmmmm... the guy said he woouldnt get much bigger than his 4". It looks like I'll be having to find a home for him because I'm about a year away from getting a bigger tank (unless these lil guys grow very slowly....)

Uh oh. I also read that as they grow they switch from eating algae to sucking on other fish. Maybe they'll let you exchange it for a different fish.

The description sounds more like a Dojo Loach than an Algae Eater.

Looks like you have a golden dojo loach. They are a lot of fun. I have 2 of them, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are great community fish, mine co-habitate with a pleco, gourami, mollies, platys, and guppies. They do prefer to be kept in groups, they are more shy when just a single guy in a tank.
What size is your tank? They are fairly slow growers, you probably have a good while to rehome him.
I wouldn't worry about them eating your other fish, but if you have snails, he will eat them.....and sometimes little inverts, like ghost shrimp. Be sure to feed a variety of foods, they are bottom feeders (scavengers), not primarily algae eaters. They are omnivores, and need more than just flakes/veggies. I feed a mix up between flakes, shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworms and algae wafers.
Also, these guys are scaleless fish, so they need a smoother substrate, or sand to dig in. They are also more susceptibale to disease, and cannot tolerate aquarium salt.
They are so fun though! Personality plus! :)

That's him and hmmmm... the guy said he woouldnt get much bigger than his 4". It looks like I'll be having to find a home for him because I'm about a year away from getting a bigger tank (unless these lil guys grow very slowly....)

If it is a Golden CAE, usually in a tank setting they get about 6" but they do have a bad rep. I have 2 in my 46g & I actually really enjoy them. They mostly hide but have certain times of the day they come out to play. I've had mine about a year, they were really small when originally purchased with misinformation from the LPS employee. They LOVE their veggies & so far I've had no problems or aggression issues.

Back
Top Bottom