What other fish can live with goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbcsrw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a small 6 Gallon tank with two goldfish. I was wondering if there are other freshwater fish that could live comfortably with them?

hmm - that's not a good idea. if you can, please transfer them to atleast a 20g. 6g's are perfect for bettas, and white clouds...

Welcome to AA, lbcsrw! :multi: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :multi:

I agree with the other members who responded to your thread. Goldfish generate enormous amounts of waste for their size. They also tend to get quite big if properly cared for. For these reasons, they require at least 10 gallons each.

Goldies are cool water fish, so tropicals wouldn't do too well with them. White cloud minnows would make good tankmates providing you have a large enough tank to support the goldfish in the first place.

Can you get a bigger tank, or trade in the goldfish for a betta?

in ym experience with goldfish, you need 20g for the first fish, and 10 gal for every fish after that. but my goldfish outgrew that over time.

snails, dojo (wheather) loaches, would work good.

just to get an idea of how messy these guys are, a penguin 330 and 170 together couldnt keep the tank clean for a week (when they get older) i dunno how old yours are. mine were like 11cents and got 10-11 inches big

Ya goldfish are pretty much the lumbering elephants on the aquarist world. They eat, eat, & eat some more, and while they are waiting to eat again they eat. So I big clean tank is a necessity to keeping them happy. I myself am upgrading to a 75 gal. just for mine.

The 40 is starting to get cramped for 5 so 75 gallons is definetly better.

Back
Top Bottom