What Pump do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am ignorant when it comes to pumps! I want a pump to take water up about 12-16 inches to a waterfall. Needs to be pretty quiet as well.
So my 2 questions:
1) how many gph?
2) brand and model recommendations?

Thanks and God bless!

Sorry, I don't know anything about pumps. Might want to try posting in the General Hardware/Equipment section though, lots of people visit there that don't check the freshwater section.

A small pond pump would work for this purpose. Something in the 75 to maybe 150gph range (depending on tank size). If you search for pond pumps, they list the 'maximum lift'. Typically, the greater the gph, the greater the lift. However, pond pumps are noisy but perhaps the small ones are not quite as bad. The ones I have are all 500gph and higher so I honestly do not know if a small one would be quiet. No personal preference on brands as they all seem to be similarly made and the cheap ones off of Ebay work just as well as some of my more expensive ones.

I would do some searching to see if there are some indoor waterfall pumps that are reasonably priced as they may be quieter because they are designed for indoor use. Or ask in hardware as people that run sumps may have a better suggestion on indoor pump types.

A small pond pump would work for this purpose. Something in the 75 to maybe 150gph range (depending on tank size). If you search for pond pumps, they list the 'maximum lift'. Typically, the greater the gph, the greater the lift. However, pond pumps are noisy but perhaps the small ones are not quite as bad. The ones I have are all 500gph and higher so I honestly do not know if a small one would be quiet. No personal preference on brands as they all seem to be similarly made and the cheap ones off of Ebay work just as well as some of my more expensive ones.

I would do some searching to see if there are some indoor waterfall pumps that are reasonably priced as they may be quieter because they are designed for indoor use. Or ask in hardware as people that run sumps may have a better suggestion on indoor pump types.

Thanks. I do not think having a pond pump in my bedroom would be ideal lol

A mag 2 is a 200ish gph pump that is very reliable. That might be what you're looking for. They are made for continuous usage and are common in saltwater setups.

One thing that I should point out is that there will be a lot of condensation when using a waterfall. One of the big fish tank tv shows did a waterfall tank where they dealt with a similar problem. It might be worth taking a look at it.

A mag 2 is a 200ish gph pump that is very reliable. That might be what you're looking for. They are made for continuous usage and are common in saltwater setups.

One thing that I should point out is that there will be a lot of condensation when using a waterfall. One of the big fish tank tv shows did a waterfall tank where they dealt with a similar problem. It might be worth taking a look at it.

Would that be tanked you speak of? Lol I am hoping enough ventilation will help with that issue....

I'm not sure if it was tanked or the other one. I dont really watch tv...

Oh ok lol I saw one on tanked awhile ago thats why I was wondering. How would you combat condensation? I know Its possible as Ive seen it before. Plus people who keep stuff like dart frogs at 100% hunidity with no condensation. It must be possible.

I use one for my water changes I originally bought a small one think it was 75 gallon per hour it didn't work at all. I now have a 200 gallon per hour which is great. With the hight and tube length it pumps only about 80 gallons an hour. Also make sure to check the max height

I use one for my water changes I originally bought a small one think it was 75 gallon per hour it didn't work at all. I now have a 200 gallon per hour which is great. With the hight and tube length it pumps only about 80 gallons an hour. Also make sure to check the max height

Most of the pumps I have seen do not list max height. How do you check? I would think 80 gph out the tube would be plenty. The stream isnt going to be huge lol

Most of the pumps I have seen do not list max height. How do you check? I would think 80 gph out the tube would be plenty. The stream isnt going to be huge lol

It was written on the side of the box right next to the flow rate. I will look for the box and add a pic to show.

Keep in mind that you lose a lot of flow the higher you run your pump. I'm not sure what your setup is going to be but that's something that you will really want to look into.

Keep in mind that you lose a lot of flow the higher you run your pump. I'm not sure what your setup is going to be but that's something that you will really want to look into.

Its just a 20 gallon tall (I have a build thread nobody is following lol) I will raise the water from the bottom to between1/2 and 3/4 of the tank height. I want the water to drain down a small water fall and then down a few in wide stream.

Back
Top Bottom