What should I do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello so i recently set up a 64l tank which I asked for stocking advice on another form. I was told that a german blue ram would be a good choice but the thing is I already have two in my malawi cichlid tank and they get on surprisingly well. I am debating whether to move one if them to the 64l tank but not sure if the stress of the move will be to much as these are delicate fish. What should i do?? Move one to the 64l or keep them both in the 450 litre cichlid tank which they are happy in at the moment but I know it's not ideal

How long have you had them in the Malawi cichlid tank? The water parameters of rift lake cichlids and South American blackwater cichlids like the Rams are radically different, and may not pan out well for the Rams in the long run. Rams are also poor competitors for food, not in the ballpark in terms of aggression compared to the Malawi cichlids, and dietary habits are also rather different for these two groups. I would rather have the Rams in the other tank, providing them with the conditions they are better suited for. But your new tank is freshly set up, and biologically not mature enough for Rams to be introduced into. The situation is a little tricky, to say the least.

Oh the other tank is already cycled and ready for the rams but i was only planning on adding one of them as they might become aggressive toward each other in a small tank?

Way too small of a tank for a GBR. Absolute minimum tank size for GBR's is 20 gallons and the tank needs to have been cycled for 6 months. Incredibly sensitive fish and cannot tolerate even a mini-cycle.

My tank is about 20 gallons well close enough anyway about 17 gallons what i ment by new tank is that i am getting new stocking for this tank. It has been cycled for about 2 years

20 gallons is a bare minimum. You always need to add at least 5 gallons to any minimum before you even consider a fish. Your tank is 16 gallons, so not close. I would still say no. But, a fish like a Scarlet Badis might work. Very similar to GBR's without being a cichlid. Very colorful. Would recommend tank bred due to your tank size.

Abw0004 offered really good advice. Also, Badis are really beautiful little fishes, and will be great candidates for this tank. I would l also consider Peacock Gudgeon ( Tateurndina ocellicauda), very peaceful, with superb colours.

Back
Top Bottom