What should I do with my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had to remove my female betta because she got sick. It kind of look empty in there with just 10 black neons 4 otos and 3 female platys. Vera was kind of my centerpiece fish she never bothered the other fish.
I was going to do a poll but I have no idea how to get it to work.

Should I:

1. Just add more black neons and bring it up to 20
2. Add a few more black neons and a new centerpiece fish (suggestions)
3. Just add a centerpiece fish and nothing else
4. Add a second schooling fish (suggestions?)

It has a lot of hiding spots on the one side and lots of swimming space on the other.

Well, I love black neons. I would actually throw in a few and then get a thin fish that is somewhat large like pearl gourami (or two). They are anabantoids like betas and are peaceful. In a large tank, you can keep more than one. If you are worried about bioload, there are dwarf gouramis. I see them as a beta replacement that actually lives a long time.

Pearl's don't get big enough to eat black neons? I've heard bad things about dwarf gourami getting sick and dying.
I actually went to the all pet stores yesterday and no one had black neons in stock. I came ho.e with a small school of cardinal tetras (6). Do I still have room for a centerpiece fish? I still love bettas and am not opposed to a gourami. Would a pair of honey gouramis work?

Black neon tetras are not actually neon tetras. They are just called that. They also are larger and hardier fish.

I have heard horror stories about betas dying, but people still get them. Dwarf gouramis are not bulletproof. A lot of death comes because they are inbred. It could be that pearl gourami might eat a small tetra.

Pearl gourami have small mouths . They will not eat an adult neon tetra but might try to eat a baby. The same goes for dwarf gourami. It sounds like you need to think about this some more. I think the best thing to do now is wait until your neons are full-grown, and then get a fish that cannot eat them. I have my black tetras with cherry barbs in a tank with rainbowfish. Rainbowfish get 4-5 inches long which is about how long a pearl gourami gets.

I'm aware that black neons are different fish than regular ones. That's why I got them. I got the cardinals because no one had black neons and they added more colour. Plus I heat they are more hardy than neons. I just wasn't sure about pearl gouramis mouth size since I've only seen juvenile ones.

Back
Top Bottom