What should I do with this new tank, please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
So ai scored a little 6 gallon tank, and I want to hear what you would do, my obvious first thought is a beta, but ai also have some small fry, with a kent cichlid brood on the way. I have a tank crib, and I think that is safer for the fry, keeping them in the envirnment if the large tank, I was also thinking of using it for a feder tank to store goldfish and ghost shrimp.
The other thought I had was cycling it with cheap goldfish and then keeping it on stand by for a hospital tank, but I don't know that small tank without a heater or filtration would make a good hospital tank.

Recommendations?

So ai scored a little 6 gallon tank, and I want to hear what you would do, my obvious first thought is a beta, but ai also have some small fry, with a kent cichlid brood on the way. I have a tank crib, and I think that is safer for the fry, keeping them in the envirnment if the large tank, I was also thinking of using it for a feder tank to store goldfish and ghost shrimp.
The other thought I had was cycling it with cheap goldfish and then keeping it on stand by for a hospital tank, but I don't know that small tank without a heater or filtration would make a good hospital tank.

Recommendations?

No goldfish in a 6 gallon to cycle the tank take some cycled media from an established tank and add an ammonia source like fish food or pure ammonia my 5 gallon cycled in 3 weeks doing that a shrimp tank is nice thats what mine is going to be just taking its time haha fry tank might work its just not a whole lot of room to work with

I guess the other thing I could consider is I have a baby bichir in my community tank, i want him to get bigger before I move him to my big tank. Maybe I could put him in the little tank.

How big is the bichir at the moment and how big do want him to get if he is already good size and doing fine in that tank why move him

He is only like 3 inches, I just got him, the last bichir went straight into my bigger tank, but he got eaten. I want him to get full size.

He is only like 3 inches, I just got him, the last bichir went straight into my bigger tank, but he got eaten. I want him to get full size.

Having him in a 6 gallon to get full size wont work from what ive read they get rather large to large for a 6 gallon

He's going to get too large for the tank he is in too, I just know that when he gets big enough he could take out some of the danios or platys, but I do have ghost shrimp too which are the easier target. My ADF Is the one at biggest risk. My plan is too move him when he starts eating the large ghost shrimp. I have one that I have had for a month, he's HUGE!

He's going to get too large for the tank he is in too, I just know that when he gets big enough he could take out some of the danios or platys, but I do have ghost shrimp too which are the easier target. My ADF Is the one at biggest risk. My plan is too move him when he starts eating the large ghost shrimp. I have one that I have had for a month, he's HUGE!

I would say that just use the 6 for either a betta or nice shrimp tank fry tank would be ok but a grow out tank for larger fish wont work in that size of tank

No, that will be defeatin' the purpose of gettin' him larger before movin' him to a larger tank. It would be nearly impossible to keep up with the water quality so ya didn't stunt his growth. Bichirs are messy fish!

I'd get a heater and look at puttin' the ADF and a few shrimp in the 6 gallon.

WYite

No, that will be defeatin' the purpose of gettin' him larger before movin' him to a larger tank. It would be nearly impossible to keep up with the water quality so ya didn't stunt his growth. Bichirs are messy fish!

I'd get a heater and look at puttin' the ADF and a few shrimp in the 6 gallon.

WYite

+1 agreed

You can get small heaters pretty cheap so I agree that a shrimp tank with RCS and maybe a couple Scarlet badis would look really good. Or a betta would work too. Also having a sparkling gourami in that size tank would look nice.

I think I'm going to get a Betta, the crib is sufficient for the fry, and ghost shrimp can just go in the tank then they'll do some cleaning before they get eaten, and the ghost shrimp in my community tank do t get eaten, at least not yet, til my Dino gets bigger, I may move the ADF in the meantime. Well see, I do t really want to spend money on a little heater and filter, not when I can set up a sick Betta tank.

Here's a video of my community tank.

Ya I think I might try with a female first, they are supposed to be more tolerant of tank mates. It's a 6 gallon so there's plenty of room.

Betta's are a tropical fish which prefers a water temperature of 75-80ºF (24-27ºC). Many bettas can tolerate water temperatures (room temperatures) down to 70ºF (21ºC), but some may act sluggish and refuse to eat at temperatures below 75ºF (24ºC). All temperatures below 70ºF (21ºC) should be avoided. Cooler temperatures may depress the immune system and a betta may no longer be able to fight off disease causing organisms, which are normally present in water.

I got a crown tall Betta and put my ADF in with him, I got a little 5w heater from aqueon too, water temp maintained 79 all night, it's really cool. BTW I'm a Vance too

Back
Top Bottom