What should my levels be at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

We've just recently added 6 neon tetras, 2 black phantoms, and 4 panda cories to our 10 gallon tank (and we know that's a bit high of a bioload, but we're going to be really good about our water changes). Along with the fishes, we added an ounce of BioSpira to the tank.

We did a liquid test last night, and didn't pick up ANY ammonia or nitrite readings. We did another one this morning, and still couldn't find any readings! We live up in Canada, and the BioSpira was shipped from Tennesse...does that mean that the bacteria died? Should we be picking up anything?

Please help!

Nononono, you're perfectly fine!

That means the bacteria lived. BioSpira contains bacteria that eat ammonia and nitrite (Bad stuffs). You want 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. That means the bacteria is eating it all up as soon as the fish produce it.

Thanks for the quick reply, ferret!

I was expected to see low levels of ammonia and nitrites, not *no* levels. So what should I be expecting during the next week? Still no readings? Low levels?

Here's hoping all goes well...

Sara

You should expect to see.. NO LEVELS :)

That's the thing with Bio-Spira. Its the only product proven to instantly cycle a tank. It contains all those bacteria you normally have to build up.

*nods and agrees*

If the Bio-Spira is a good bag (bad bags happen from time to time) and the correct amount or more is used for the bio-load, you shouldn't see any ammonia or nitrites; just nitrates.

If the Bio-Spira is a good bag (bad bags happen from time to time) and the correct amount or more is used for the bio-load, you shouldn't see any ammonia or nitrites; just nitrates.

Agreed, but if you check for nitrates and find none, there may be a problem.

I'm also new to all of this fishie fun, but I've spent a ridiculous amount of time researching anything and everything fishie-related.

From what I've found, stay far, far away from most of the chains in the city if you're buying fish. I have had terrible luck with both of the stores at West Edmonton Mall especially. Their supplies and equipment may be (and are likely) cheaper than the independent lfs's, but whenever I can, I prefer to give my business to the independents.

I've bought fish from both DAD'S and Big Al's. The selection at Big Al's is *amazing* (I try to get my boyfriend to take me there instead of dinner and a movie...I could spend hours in there :oops: ), but their staff haven't been too accommodating. The staff at DAD'S, on the other hand, have been incredible. I phone them often with questions and they are always helpful - they even gave me medicine for free when the betta that I bought from them got cotton fungus.

I know there are a few other Edmontonians on the board...perhaps they can provide more insight...

HTH

Big Al's definitely has the best selection in town (that I've found). Their prices are actually quite good - better than the 2 at WEM for sure.

Back
Top Bottom