What size tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
actually, the sharks and cat fish were named, Psycho (bala), Savage (irid) and Kain (cat fish). psyco died cause he picked on the cat fish and the cat fish whoped him one too many times for it (sorry but that cat fish didnt take **** from no one!) and Savage went psycho when Psycho died and kept trying to commit suicide by not eating, but his hunger got the better of him. but kain died last, he was almost 2 months at my home, i TOLD my friends, but they wont tell me why their sharks arent hostile. i wish i could have given them to some one who had a bigger tank, but i didnt know any one who did. sadly all three died, *sniffle* I GOT PICS THOUGH! as soon as i get the film developed, i can be a show off!

Women have no sense of fun... especially when it comes to pets or something else, like getting a date or keeping one away from paraents. (so i havent let my mom or dad meet my girl friend, so what?) what i want to know is how fast do sword fish multiply so that way i can be prepared to get rid of some, if i have too.

OMG a 2.5 gal is much too small for almost any fish (besides bettas and even then i suggest a 5 gal for them) you said they were doing fine but a month is a VERY short life and you act like they lived forever... of course they fought, they were cramped up together in a tiny tank and they are aggressive fish..

with your ten gal i suggest zebra danios--they are hardy and fun to watch (very active).. get about 6 or 7 of them and someone suggested neon tetras as well but i strongly discourage neon tetras w/ zebra danios b/c the danios love to nip and neons prefer a peaceful environment... the zebras will stress the neons leading to early death... if it was a larger tank it could work b/c the fish would have more room to play...

Crystal Dragon said:
actually, the sharks and cat fish were named, Psycho (bala), Savage (irid) and Kain (cat fish). psyco died cause he picked on the cat fish and the cat fish whoped him one too many times for it (sorry but that cat fish didnt take *beep* from no one!) and Savage went psycho when Psycho died and kept trying to commit suicide by not eating, but his hunger got the better of him. but kain died last, he was almost 2 months at my home, i TOLD my friends, but they wont tell me why their sharks arent hostile.

I can't help but say, you have no idea what you're doing. There is no way these fish were happy in that tank, or even remotely healthy. No way. Not at all, not a chance. They probably died due to health problems from stunted growth or poor water quality.

If you want big fish, you have to have a big tank. If you don't like small fish, you're just kinda out of luck until you have the money for a larger tank.

They weren't playing. They were fighting. The iridescent wasn't sad, it was sick. Their 'sharks' (Most of these aren't even true sharks, they are named such due to a similar shape and to get consumer's attention. Bala sharks are actually a large minnow) probably had a lot of space to establish territories in, and therefore did not have aggression issues.

Black sharks will kill just about anything they can. The word I know from a friend who kept them was if they can't fit their mouth around it to eat it, they'll ram and headbutt it until it dies.. Then eat it.

Danios are the fastest fish you'll find. After that are probably guppies, swordtails, and platys, for your normal range of available small fish. Then you get into Tetras.

Swordtails to my knowledge will have a few babies every 4-5 weeks. 12+ babies I believe, though they usually eat some of them and/or all of them

The only catfish that can make it for life in a 10 gallon tank are dwarf cory catfish. 3-4 would be good. They get to be 2.5 inches long at best.

A group of 1 male and 3 female swords would be good. They will breed but the parents will eat most.

Tiger barbs are too big bodied for a 10 gallon but cherry barbs are a great fast little fish. Platies are like swordtails without the sword. White clouds and tetras in a school of 5-6 would be a nice thing.

A 10 gallon tank just can't realistically hold that many fish if you care at all about their health.

And I would say no to a sucker fish. Those are either CAE (10 inches and super aggressive when older) or plecos (most get to 12 inches and some get to be 2 feet).

Even with a modest load you will have to change at least 20% of the tank water every week and should only be feeding once a day.

Crystal Dragon said:
and i do remember asking about how fast sword tails breed...
About every 4 weeks or so (platies and guppies too). You could end up with a lot of fish for that tank if they parents don't succeed in eating them all.

I also agree that a 10 gallon tank is limited. I've had an empty 10 gallon tank for weeks now, researching what to put in it. There really are a lot of options if you stick to small fish (tetras, barbs, rasboras, white clouds, etc). It seems the biggest fish that could live in a 10 gallon for awhile is a dwarf gourami.

thank ou for answering my question (FINNALY!). and please dont chew me out, i get enough from my psychotic x girl friend, about how i wasnt good enough for her. so dont chew me out. and how many sword tails can i fit into a 10 gallon tank?

I would say with good maintanence you could have 3 females and 1 male (easy to tell apart at the fish store). And add a group of 3-4 cory catfish on the bottom of the tank. Or else 3 khulie loaches if you like their more eel like body. Add some live plants as well as they do enjoy these. Easy plants are water sprite, java fern, crypts, and hornwort.

Get some test kits for ammonia and nitrite at the very least and when the tank is new check often to make sure these levels do not get above 0.5 ppm. When they do you change the water , about 20%. This may be everyday in the begining.

And unless you have biospira or are doing a fishless cycle (which is a good thing, something you should read about anyway) then do not add all of the fish at one time. Add them slowly over a couple of weeks.

no one was chewing you out---we are just concerned of the safety of the fish and the fact that you had that many fish in a 2.5 gal says you dont know much about them so we are just letting you know..

Back
Top Bottom