What size water changes should I be doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
If my aquarium is 55 gallons and the only fish I have in there are 3 adult female mollies and 4 fry how big should my water changes be?
The filter is a tetra whisper (ha the this is the noisiest filter) 60.

Hello, each tank different. You have to test to figure out your schedule & %.
Example my 55gal has 3xfancy goldies, 2xdojo loach & 1xfemale bristle pleco(all major mess makers). Through wkly testing I've discovered I need to do 2x30% water changes a wk to keep it under 40 nitrates(good) & 3x30% to keep it under 20(better). Hope this helps you!

Water Changes

If my aquarium is 55 gallons and the only fish I have in there are 3 adult female mollies and 4 fry how big should my water changes be?
The filter is a tetra whisper (ha the this is the noisiest filter) 60.

Hello Sara...

Water that stays in a tank changes chemically every day. The reason is the minerals in the water are changed in the presence of oxygen. The minerals are also changed due to the water constantly running through a filtering system. Oxygen is removed in the presence of nitrogen from the dissolved fish and plant waste material. So, it's important to remove most of the old, toxic water and replace it with pure, treated tap water every week to maintain good oxygen and mineral levels. By changing out most of the water every week, you remove most of the pollutants and the toxins left in the tank are diluted to a very safe level in all the new water.

B

Water Changes

So like 50% a week?

That's correct. At least half the tank's volume every week. Less than 50 percent, leaves most of the old, polluted water still in the tank. The fish and any plants will add waste before the next water change.

B

Back
Top Bottom