What species of dwarf ram do I have ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalypsosFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have attached here two side shots of a dwarf ram in my tank and I was hoping someone could tell me which species I have here!
IMG_1540.jpgIMG_1544.jpg
Thanks so much!
Rai

It could be a very inbred GBR, but I can't tell. I do not see clear markings for a German Blue Ram, Bolivian, or any color variations. Both of those are females by the way, and one on the right looks like she is sick. You can tell by the dull colors, black stress bars across the body, clamped fins, and stringy poop (unless you fed brine shrimp). What are the water parameters, and how long has the tank been running?

It could be a very inbred GBR, but I can't tell. I do not see clear markings for a German Blue Ram, Bolivian, or any color variations. Both of those are females by the way, and one on the right looks like she is sick. You can tell by the dull colors, black stress bars across the body, clamped fins, and stringy poop (unless you fed brine shrimp). What are the water parameters, and how long has the tank been running?

These are both the same fish, just wanted a pic of both sides. She has always looked this way I think, the bars have been there since purchase for sure. I don't have the parameters at the moment, I'm away from home. The tank has been running for two years + and she's been in the tank for about a year. The fish do get fed brine shrimp and also bloodworms along with the regular flake and pellet foods.

I'll definitely take a better look at her and see if I find anything that may be harming her.
This tank gets a good 20% water change weekly. Running a fluval canister filter.

Is it possible that those symptoms may be caused by stress? I could add more plants and caves.

Should I remove her and put her in a smaller tank by herself until I can find out what's wrong?

Those are stress bars so something is stressing her out. They do love plants, so definitely add those. What is the temperature of the tank?

That may be contributing to the issue. Rams need a minimum temperature of 80. They are comfortable at 82.

Thank you for that info, I do lots of research online but found lots of mixed info on temp for Rams. A few said a min of 76-78 but are happiest at 80-82. I will put her in her own tank and make it warmer and see if that does anything to help relive her stress. Thanks again!

Most who know rams agree under 80 is just asking for it..
Definitley shortens life span of a fish that may live only 2 years for most anyways...
Turn on the heat and get her a man ram !

Back
Top Bottom