what species to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently been doing alot of reading on breeding freshwater fish, and i think i want to give it a shot.

I have a 10g utility tank (unoccupied) that i use for various things. QT, nightstand, etc. This would be the tank i used for breeding/spawning.

Now, i have a few fish i'd like to try raising, but i have no idea which would be the easiest or most likely to suceed. My options are: zebra danios, betta splendens, and blue rams.

My two blue rams live together anyways, so they might breed regardless of my intervention.

Which of these fish should i try to breed first? Or should i just get a dozen guppies and toss them in the 10g :).

Thanks,
David

i think ballon mollies are the best. they look funny and they follow your finger when you touch the glass(you can only see this happening after about 2 weeks and with about 8 mollies. I <3 my mollies

If you are looking for a fish that will give you an immediate result, I would go with the livebearers. IMO, these are the easiest. The problem you will have is having enough room for all the fry.

Tip for breeding livebearers: You should have 2 females for every male. Gestation period is 28-30 days.

If you are looking for more of a challenge, I would try breeding the rams, or some Kribensis. The rewards of watching cichlids care for their young is unbelievable.

There are more fish you could breed, but it all depends on what your are looking for. Good luck!!

go with either black or pinck convicts.but a 10 is to small.go with the livebearers.and rams are hard to raise the fry to selling age.

Of the fish that you have either the Rams or the Betta would be the most challenging. What are your plans for the fry? That might have a lot to do with your decision as well.

Back
Top Bottom