What stage of the cycle am I in, and what to do next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppo8820

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive been fishless cycling for about 3 weeks now. I dose with ace hardware ammonia, started at 4ppm. It actually sat at that for a long time, but then I went and got a filter bag full of gravel from a fish shop, as well as some live plants.
Now the ammonia goes to like .25/.50 after about 24 hours of adding ammonia up to 2-4ppm. I also have sky high nitrites. On the API MK it shows off the charts purple.
I also noticed some green algae growing on the gravel bag, which concerns me as I hate algae.

I guess my question is, what step am I on and what do I do next to keep this thing going? I added some extra Niteout II tonight and some plant food. The plants seem to be happy as can be.

Thanks in advance.

Booya! That means I am almost done! I am never moving or taking this tank down as I never want to cycle from scratch again. I will keep the filter media in a vault. Okay all that is extreme, but you can tell I am excited. Thanks for the reply and info.

Don't keep the media in a vault. It'll dry out. ;)

It's good to have a filter bag full of porous biomedia in your display tank's filter. When you need to cycle a tank, add about 15 pieces to a fresh filter bag and stick it into the filter of the cycling tank. Helps tremendously.

lol, I was joking. I use aqua-clears and never change the sponge or bio bag. I am excited to finally have my own seeding material for any tanks I get going forward, so I dont have to start from scratch again. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom