What States Are Red Bellied Piranha Legal in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDude14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to get some Red bellys and I want to know were they are legal. Im in New York. But no in the city. :brows:

Not 100% positive but i believe its illegal in the US period to possess piranha unless u have a permit to do so.

I believe a lot of people keep pacu as an alternative. Just what I've heard. Although I don't see why responsible fish owners shouldn't be allowed to keep just 1 of banned species. That way In the rare instance it is released it won't reproduce.

Well, prime example of why certain fish are banned are snakeheads. Pacus are herbivores and less voracious cousins of piranha. Releasing non-native fish species regardless of it even being just 1 aught to be illegal. A few years ago down near Syracuse a hobbyist had a snakehead and actually had it confiscated becuase he sidnt have a permit.

Pacus are nearly impossible to keep responsibly for most hobbyists.

I might still get them like what could Happen Im not going to let them go

Prohib_P.jpg

There's no federal law against piranha. Some states outright band them, others require you to get a permit, mostly for academic institutions. They're legal in some states.

Back
Top Bottom