what stock to add to my goldies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gravereaper0

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm in the process of setting up a hundred and twenty gallon tank, and I'm looking for more stock. Currently I have 2 common and 2 fancy goldies. I'm going to add loaches , just can't decide what kind. The experts at wetwebmedia told me the best bet is to go with weather loaches. their shape is interesting, however, I'm looking for colorful fish. But they did say that the botia species, yo-yos or zebras, *could* live with goldies. The goldies might get chased around even nipped on (worst case scenario).
Does anyone else have any experience with goldies and loaches together, and if so what kind and how's it going.

What I'm thinking of adding right now is 4 weather loaches and 5 zebras. Would it work? And would that be overstock?

Also when the commons get to about 10-12" I'm thinking I'll sell em to a pond owner.

I had clown loaches with my common,moor and fantail,but I also had the goldies in a warmer than optimal tank.

I currently have golden weather loaches in both my outside ponds with goldies since late spring with no issues. I've never kept any of the other loach species other than kuhli's.
Imo dojo loaches don't get enough credit. They're comical and about as resilient as you could ask for. Although as you've stated already, not very colorful. It's a shame there aren't more color strains available.

I Had 5 but now 4.One pulled a Houdini and vanished.As soon as they start to get a little size I plan on moving them to a 125 or larger.Buying a house this summer,so basically getting them a large tank after we move. I could see realistically keeping them at least 2 years in a 55 with no issues.

So every waking free moment that I have now is being consumed by freaking fish. Think I got aquarium fever. After more research I'm kind of narrowing down what I want for my stock.
2 fancies
4 dojo loaches
5 yo-yos
I'm not counting the Commons because next year I'll be giving those away.
Still kinda iffy on the yo-yos its a battle between them n clowns. The cherry shrimp I wanted will be food for the fish so I scrapped that, but do want something crawling around so I'm looking at the cobalt blue lobster. They can get big enough so the fish won't think its food. Also a couple of assassin snails, their shells are cool and eat other unwanted snails which I will probably get since it'll be a planted tank.

And the used 125 gallon I was gonna get is actually from an lfs, and after talking to the guy selling it there I think I'm gonna scrap that idea and get a new 150 gallon for the life time warranty. Still a six footer just taller.

Haha!!!!!! Welcome to the addiction!! Congrats on the big tank & jumping in head first! Look forward to pics! :)

If you go with loaches,snails are nothing but a snack,not so much a stocking idea. I have a couple of fiddler crabs,but I also have the proper underwater habitat for them so they can get out of the water.They are cool as heck,but you have to do the reading before you get them.

From what I understand Dojo loaches do well in a cold water tank.

Nevermind. I see you already know lol

Back
Top Bottom